High order discontinuous Galerkin method for simulating miscible flooding in porous media
We present a high-order method for miscible displacement simulation in porous media. The method is based on discontinuous Galerkin discretization with weighted average stabilization technique and flux reconstruction post processing. The mathematical model is decoupled and solved sequentially. We apply domain decomposition and algebraic multigrid preconditioner for the linear system resulting from the high-order discretization. The accuracy and robustness of the method are demonstrated in the convergence study with analytical solutions and heterogeneous porous media, respectively. We also investigate the effect of grid orientation and anisotropic permeability using high-order discontinuous Galerkin method in contrast with cell-centered finite volume method. The study of the parallel implementation shows the scalability and efficiency of the method on parallel architecture. We also verify the simulation result on highly heterogeneous permeability field from the SPE10 model.
KeywordsPorous media flow Miscible displacement High-order method Discontinuous Galerkin Flux reconstruction Algebraic multigrid Domain decomposition Parallel computing Heterogeneous permeability Anisotropy SPE10 model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Nikitin, K., Terekhov, K., Vassilevski, Y.: A monotone nonlinear finite volume method for diffusion equations and multiphase flows. Comput. Geosci., 1–14 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Epshteyn, Y., Rivière, B.B.: Convergence of high order methods for miscible displacement. Int. J. Numer. Anal. Model. 5, 47–63 (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Jensen, M., Müller, R.: Stable Crank–Nicolson discretisation for incompressible miscible displacement problems of low regularity. Numerical Mathematics and Advanced Applications, 469–477 (2010)Google Scholar
- 24.Blatt, M.: A parallel algebraic multigrid method for elliptic problems with highly discontinuous coefficients, Ph.D. thesis. University of Heidelberg (2010)Google Scholar
- 28.Cockburn, B., Shu, C.-W.: TVB Runge-Kutta local projection discontinuous Galerkin finite element method for conservation laws. II. General framework. Math. Comput. 52(186), 411–435 (1989)Google Scholar
- 31.Moissis, D.: Simulation of viscous fingering during miscible displacement in nonuniform porous media, Ph.D. thesis. Rice University (1988)Google Scholar
- 35.Thomée, V.: Galerkin finite element methods for parabolic problems, Vol. 1054. Springer (1984)Google Scholar
- 38.Bastian, P., Heimann, F., Marnach, S.: Generic implementation of finite element methods in the distributed and unified numerics environment (DUNE). Kybernetika 46(2), 294–315 (2010)Google Scholar