A simple method for isolation of microsatellites from the mudskipper (Boleophthalmus pectinirostris), without constructing a genomic library
- 126 Downloads
The mudskipper Boleophthalmus pectinirostris is an important aquaculture species in China. It is endangered due to the loss and fragmentation of natural habitat, seawater pollution and overfishing. In this study, ten polymorphic microsatellite loci were isolated by the 5′-anchored polymerase chain reaction technique. Population genetic parameters were estimated on 60 wild individuals collected from Jiuduansha wetland in Yangtze River estuary. The number of alleles ranged from 3 to 14. The observed(H O) and expected(H E) heterozygosities ranged from 0.2500 to 0.8500 and from 0.3679 to 0.8692, respectively. This suite of microsatellite loci will facilitate future studies of the genetic status of wild and hatchery bred populations of B. pectinirostris.
KeywordsBoleophthalmus pectinirostris Microsatellite 5′-anchored PCR
We are grateful to Ms. Sang-Ni Lu, Mr. Ding He, Ms. Qi Ding, Mr. Qing-Hui Meng and Mr. Wei Feng for the help in lab work. This research was supported by the grants from Shanghai Leading Academic Discipline Project (S30701, Y1101).
- Akihito SK, Ikeda Y, Iwata A (2000) Suborder gobioidei. In: Nakabo T (ed) Fishes of Japan with pictorial keys to the species. Tokai University Press, Tokyo, pp 1139–1628 (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Brachet S, Jubier MF, Richard M, Jung-Muller B, Frascaria-Lacoste N (1999) Rapid identification of microsatellite loci using 5′-anchored PCR in the common ash Fraxinus excelsior. Mol Ecol 8:157–168Google Scholar
- Jin CH, Zhong AH, Huang FY, Zhang CD, Li MY (2004) The research on genetic diversity of Boleophthalmus pectinirostris L. from natural population by RAPD method. Mar Sci 12:26–30Google Scholar
- Kanemori Y, Takegaki T, Natsukari Y (2006) Genetic population structure of Boleophthalmus pectinirostris inferred from mitochondrial DNA sequences. Jpn J Ichthyol 53:133–141Google Scholar
- Murdy EO (1989) A taxonomic revision and cladistic analysis of the oxudercine gobies (Gobiaidae: Oxudercinae). Rec Aust Mus Suppl 11:1–93Google Scholar
- Rozen S, Skaletsky HJ (2000) Primer 3 on the WWW for general users and for biologist programmers. In: Krawetz S, Misener S (eds) Bioinformatics methods and protocols: methods in molecular biology. Humana Press, Totowa, pp 365–386Google Scholar
- Sambrook J, Russell DW (2001) Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual, 3rd edn. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Zhang QY, Hong WS (2006) Review and prospect of mudskipper Boleophthalmus pectinirostris studies. J Xiamen Univ (Natural Science) Sup 2:97–108Google Scholar