A relaxation algorithm with a probabilistic guarantee for robust deviation optimization
- 156 Downloads
Three measures of robustness (absolute robustness, deviation robustness and relative robustness), whose choice depends on the goals of the decision maker, have been proposed for uncertain optimization problems. Absolute robustness has been thoroughly studied, whereas the others have been studied to less of a degree.
We focus on deviation robustness for uncertain convex quadratic programming problems with ellipsoidal uncertainties and propose a relaxation technique based on random sampling for robust deviation optimization problems. We theoretically and experimentally show that solving the relaxation problem gives a tighter lower bound than solving a simple sampled relaxation problem. Furthermore, we measure the robustness of the solution in a probabilistic setting. The number of random samples is estimated for obtaining an approximate solution with a probabilistic guarantee, and the approximation error is evaluated a-priori and a-posteriori. Our relaxation algorithm with a probabilistic guarantee utilizes a-posteriori assessment to evaluate the accuracy of the approximate solutions.
KeywordsRobust optimization Uncertainty Relative robustness Random sampling Approximation error
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 13.Hites, R., Salazar-Neumann, M.: The robust deviation p-elements problem with interval data. Technical Report, Service de Mathematiques de la Gestion, Universite Libre de Bruxelles (2004). Available at http://www.ulb.ac.be/polytech/smg/publications/Preprints/Hites04_04.htm
- 14.Kanamori, T., Takeda, A.: Worst-case violation of sampled convex programs for optimization with uncertainty. Research Report B-425, Dept. of Mathematical and Computing Sciences, Tokyo Institute of Technology (2006). Available at http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/research/research-report/B/B-425.pdf
- 16.Krishnamurthy, V.: Robust optimization in finance. Second Summer Paper for the Doctoral Program (supervised by R.H. Tütüncü). Preprint (2004) Google Scholar
- 17.Nemirovski, A., Shapiro, A.: Scenario approximations of chance constraints. In: Calafiore, G., Dabbene, F. (eds.) Probabilistic and Randomized Methods for Design under Uncertainty. Springer, Berlin (2006) Google Scholar
- 18.Tütüncü, R.H., Hauser, R., Krishnamurthy, V.: Relative robust optimization. Abstract in 19th International Symposium on Mathematical Programming (ISMP 2006), 2006 Google Scholar
- 19.Yaman, H., Karaşan, O.E., Pinar, M.Ç.: Restricted robust optimization for maximization over uniform matroid with interval data uncertainty. Technical Report, Bilkent University (2004). www.bilkent.edu.tr/~hyaman/RRD.htm