A general mathematical performance model for wormhole-switched irregular networks
- 64 Downloads
Irregular topologies are desirable network structures for building scalable cluster systems and very recently they have also been employed in SoC (system-on-chip) design. Many analytical models have been proposed in the literature to evaluate the performance of networks with different topologies such as hypercube, torus, mesh, hypermesh, Cartesian product networks, star graph, and k-ary n-cube; however, to the best of our knowledge, no mathematical model has been presented for irregular networks. Therefore, as an effort to fill this gap, this paper presents a comprehensive mathematical model for fully adaptive routing in wormhole-switched irregular networks. Moreover, since our approach holds no assumption for the network topology, the proposed analytical model covers all the aforementioned models (i.e. it covers both regular and irregular topologies). Furthermore, the model makes no preliminary assumption about the deadlock-free routing algorithm applied to the network. Finally, besides the generality of the model regarding the topology and routing algorithm, our analysis shows that the analytical model exhibits high accuracy which enables it to be used for almost all topologies with all traffic loads.
KeywordsIrregular networks Computing clusters Routing Performance evaluation Analytical modeling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Duato, S.J., Yalamanchili, Ni, L.: Interconnection networks: an engineering approach. IEEE Comput. Soc., Los Alamitos (2003) Google Scholar
- 5.Flich, J., Duato, J.: Logic-based distributed routing for NoCs. IEEE Comput. Archit. Lett. 7 (2008) Google Scholar
- 6.Kiasari, A.E., Sarbazi-Azad, H., Ould-Khaoua, M.: Analytical performance modelling of adaptive wormhole routing in the star interconnection network. In: Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, pp. 25–29 (2006) Google Scholar
- 7.Koibuchi, M., Funahashi, A., Jouraku, A., Amano, H.: L-turn routing: an adaptive routing in irregular networks. In: International Parallel Processing Conference, pp. 383–392 (2001) Google Scholar
- 9.Moraveji, R., Sarbazi-Azad, H.: Mathematical performance analysis of product networks. In: International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol. 2, pp. 1–8 (2007) Google Scholar
- 10.Moraveji, R., Sarbazi-Azad, H., Tavakkol, A.: The effect of network topology and channel labels on the performance of label-based routing algorithms. In: International Conference on Computational Science, pp. 529–538 (2008) Google Scholar
- 11.Najaf-abadi, H.H., Sarbazi-Azad, H., Rajabzadeh, P.: Performance modeling of fully adaptive wormhole routing in 2-D mesh-connected multiprocessors. In: Modeling, Analysis, and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunications Systems Conference, pp. 528–534 (2004) Google Scholar
- 12.Nayebi, A., Meraji, S., Shamaei, A., Sarbazi-Azad, H.: Xmulator: A listener-based integrated simulation platform for interconnection networks. In: International Conference on Modeling and Simulation, pp. 128–132 (2007) Google Scholar
- 13.Nguyen, H., Ngo, V., Choi, H.: Assessing routing behavior on on-chip-network. In: International Conference on Computer Engineering and Systems, pp. 62–65 (2006) Google Scholar
- 19.Wu, J., Sheng, L.: Deadlock-free routing in irregular networks using prefix routing. DIMACS Technical Report, 99–19 (1999) Google Scholar