Neutron Transmission of Single-crystal Sapphire Filters
An additive formula is given that permits the calculation of the nuclear capture, thermal diffuse and Bragg scattering cross-sections as a function of sapphire temperature and crystal parameters. We have developed a computer program that allows calculations of the thermal neutron transmission for the sapphire rhombohedral structure and its equivalent trigonal structure. The calculated total cross-section values and effective attenuation coefficient for single-crystalline sapphire at different temperatures are compared with measured values. Overall agreement is indicated between the formula and experimental data. We discuss the use of sapphire single crystal as a thermal neutron filter in terms of the optimum cystal thickness, mosaic spread, temperature, cutting plane and tuning for efficient transmission of thermal-reactor neutrons.
Keywordsneutron transmission sapphire neutron filters
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P.K. Iyengar: in Thermal Neutron Scattering (Ed. P.A. Egelstaff), Academic Press, 1965, p. 130.Google Scholar
- J.A. Harvey, H.A. Mook, N.W. Hill, and O. Shahal: in Int. Conf. on Nuclear Data for Science and Technology, Antwerp 1982, (Ed. K.H. Bockhoff), ECSC, EEC, EAEC, Brussels and Luxembourg, 1983, p. 961.Google Scholar
- H.A. Mook and W.A Hamilton: in Advanced Optics for Neutron Scattering Research, Laboratory Directed Research and Development Annual Report, FY-ORNL, 2001.Google Scholar
- R. Born, D. Hohlwein, J.R. Schneider, and K. Kakurai: Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res. A 262 (1987) 359.Google Scholar
- V.F. Sears: Neutron News 3 (1992) 26.Google Scholar
- M.A Abramowitz and I.A. Stegun: Handbook of mathematical functions, Appl. Math. Series-55, Nat. Bureau of Standards, 1964, p. 607.Google Scholar
- J.M. Cassels: Prog. Nucl. Phys. 1 (1950) 185.Google Scholar
- D.R. Lide: in Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 7th edition, CRC Press, USA, 1995, p. 139.Google Scholar
- C. Roberto: in Bulk and Surface Structure of Alumina, Licentiate thesis, Chalmers Univ. of Technology, Goteborg (Sweden), 1998.Google Scholar