Telomere maintenance, function and evolution: the yeast paradigm
- 266 Downloads
Telomeres are multifunctional genetic elements that cap chromosome ends, playing essential roles in genome stability, chromosome higher-order organization and proliferation control. The telomere field has largely benefited from the study of unicellular eukaryotic organisms such as yeasts. Easy cultivation in laboratory conditions and powerful genetics have placed mainly Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Kluveromyces lactis and Schizosaccharomyces pombe as crucial model organisms for telomere biology research. Studies in these species have made it possible to elucidate the basic mechanisms of telomere maintenance, function and evolution. Moreover, comparative genomic analyses show that telomeres have evolved rapidly among yeast species and functional plasticity emerges as one of the driving forces of this evolution. This provides a precious opportunity to further our understanding of telomere biology.
Key wordschromatin DNA replication evolution telomerase telomere yeast
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blackburn EH, Greider CW, eds, Telomeres. Plainview, N.Y.: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, pp. 11–34.Google Scholar
- Borkovich KA, Alex LA, Yarden O et al. (2004) Lessons from the genome sequence of Neurospora crassa: tracing the path from genomic blueprint to multicellular organism. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 68: 1–108, table of contents.Google Scholar
- Brunori M, Luciano P, Gilson E, Geli V (2005) The telomerase cycle: normal and pathological aspects. J Mol Med. 83: 244–257.Google Scholar
- Fisher TS, Taggart AK, Zakian VA (2004) Cell cycle-dependent regulation of yeast telomerase by Ku. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 11: 1198–1205.Google Scholar
- Gilson E, Gasser SM (1995) Repressor activator protein 1 and its ligands: organising chromatin domains. Nucleic Acids Mol Biol 9: 308–327.Google Scholar
- Gurevich R, Smolikov S, Maddar H, Krauskopf A (2003) Mutant telomeres inhibit transcriptional silencing at native telomeres of the yeast Kluyveromyces lactis. Mol Genet Genom 268: 729–738.Google Scholar
- Henderson E (1995) Telomere DNA structure. In: Blackburn EH, Greider CW, eds. Telomeres. NY: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, pp. 11–34.Google Scholar
- Huang X, Miller W (1991) A time-efficient, linear-space local similarity algorithm. Adv Appl Math 12: 337.Google Scholar
- Smogorzewska A, de Lange T (2004) Regulation of telomerase by telomeric proteins. Annu Rev Biochem 73: 177–208.Google Scholar