Filtration Gas Combustion in an Inhomogeneous Porous Medium
- 45 Downloads
Mathematical modeling is performed of the transition of a filtration gas combustion wave through the interface between two porous media with different thermodynamic characteristics. Trends and mechanisms of changes in the structure of the filtration gas combustion wave and its propagation velocity in transition through the interface are considered. It is established that the transition process can end not only with the formation of a steady-state combustion wave that corresponds to conditions in the new porous medium but also with the stabilization of the combustion wave at the interface or quenching. It is shown that, in some cases, transition of a filtration gas combustion wave through the interface is accompanied by a sudden transfer of the flame zone for a few millimeters or even centimeters. Because of the thermal inertia of the porous medium, in the experiment this can look like disintegration of the combustion zone into two coexisting regions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. S. Babkin, “The problems of porous flame arresters,” in: V. E. Zarko et al. (eds.), Prevention of Hazardous Fires and Explosions, Kluwer Acad. Publ. (1999), pp. 199–213.Google Scholar
- 4.V. S. Babkin, V. A. Bunev, N. A. Kakutkina, Yu. M. Laevskii, and I. G. Namyatov, “Problems of the reverse process with gas phase oxidation of methane,” Gorenie Plasmokhim., 1, No. 4, 357–370 (2003).Google Scholar
- 7.M. Y. Laevskii and L. V. Yausheva, “Modeling of filtration combustion of gases in heterogeneous porous media,” Sib. Zh. Vychisl. Mat., 12, No. 2, 171–187 (2009).Google Scholar
- 8.M. È. Aèrov, A. M. Todes, and D. A. Narinskii, Apparatus with a Steady-State Granular Layer [in Russian], Khimiya, Leningrad (1979).Google Scholar
- 9.Ya. B. Zel’dovich, G. I. Barenblatt, V. B. Librovich, and G. M. Makhviladze, The Mathematical Theory of Combustion and Explosions, Plenum, New York (1985).Google Scholar
- 10.M. Y. Laevskii and V. S. Babkin, “Filtration gas combustion,” in: Yu. Sh. Matros (ed.), Propagation of Thermal Waves in Heterogeneous Media [in Russian], Nauka, Novosibirsk (1988).Google Scholar
- 11.K. V. Dobrego and S. A. Zhdanok, Physics of Filtration Combustion of Gases [in Russian], Lykov Institute of Heat and Mass Transfer, National Academy of Sciences, Minsk (2002).Google Scholar