Down-Regulation of IRF6 Protects Cortical Neurons Against Traumatic Neuronal Injury Through Activating Akt-eNOS Pathway
Interferon regulatory factor 6 (IRF6) is a novel and unique member of the IRF family of transcription factors, and the regulation and function of IRF6 remain unknown. Recently, IRF6 was shown to be upregulated after TBI and could promote neuronal apoptosis under oxidative stress conditions. This study aimed to investigate the role of IRF6 in traumatic neuronal injury (TNI) in primary cultured mouse cortical neurons. We found that the expression of IRF6 was significantly increased within 48 after TNI, and peaked at 24 h. Knockdown of IRF6 using specific targeted small interfering RNA (siRNA) attenuated TNI-induced loss of neuronal viability and release of lactate dehydrogenase. The results of TUNEL staining showed that IRF6 knockdown markedly reduced neuronal apoptosis, which was accompanied by decreased activity of caspase-3. Furthermore, downregulation of IRF6 inhibited lipid peroxidation, promoted the activity of endogenous antioxidative enzymes, and differently regulated the expression of inflammatory cytokines after TNI. In addition, IRF6 knockdown significantly increased phosphorylation of Akt and endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), whereas blocking Akt-eNOS pathway via selective antagonists partly prevented the protective effects of IRF6 knockdown. These data show that downregulation of IRF6 affords protection against TNI through Akt-eNOS pathway-mediated antioxidative and anti-inflammatory activity.
KeywordsIRF6 TBI Oxidative stress Akt eNOS
- Chen T, Fei F, Jiang XF, Zhang L, Qu Y, Huo K, Fei Z (2012) Down-regulation of Homer1b/c attenuates glutamate-mediated excitotoxicity through endoplasmic reticulum and mitochondria pathways in rat cortical neurons. Free Radic Biol Med 52(1):208–217. doi: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2011.10.451 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Chua KS, Ng YS, Yap SG, Bok CW (2007) A brief review of traumatic brain injury rehabilitation. Ann Acad Med 36(1):31–42Google Scholar
- Dai SH, Chen T, Wang YH, Zhu J, Luo P, Rao W, Yang YF, Fei Z, Jiang XF (2014) Sirt3 protects cortical neurons against oxidative stress via regulating mitochondrial Ca2 + and mitochondrial biogenesis. Int J Mol Sci 15(8):14591–14609. doi: 10.3390/ijms150814591 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Ferretti E, Li B, Zewdu R, Wells V, Hebert JM, Karner C, Anderson MJ, Williams T, Dixon J, Dixon MJ, Depew MJ, Selleri L (2011) A conserved Pbx-Wnt-p63-Irf6 regulatory module controls face morphogenesis by promoting epithelial apoptosis. Dev Cell 21(4):627–641. doi: 10.1016/j.devcel.2011.08.005 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Kondo S, Schutte BC, Richardson RJ, Bjork BC, Knight AS, Watanabe Y, Howard E, de Lima RL, Daack-Hirsch S, Sander A, McDonald-McGinn DM, Zackai EH, Lammer EJ, Aylsworth AS, Ardinger HH, Lidral AC, Pober BR, Moreno L, Arcos-Burgos M, Valencia C, Houdayer C, Bahuau M, Moretti-Ferreira D, Richieri-Costa A, Dixon MJ, Murray JC (2002) Mutations in IRF6 cause Van der Woude and popliteal pterygium syndromes. Nat Genet 32(2):285–289. doi: 10.1038/ng985 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar