Long Noncoding RNA-Sox2OT Knockdown Alleviates Diabetes Mellitus-Induced Retinal Ganglion Cell (RGC) injury
Retinal ganglion cell (RGC) injury is one of the important pathological features of diabetes-induced retinal neurodegeneration. Increasing attention has been paid to find strategies for protecting against RGC injury. Long noncoding RNAs (lncRNAs) have emerged as the key regulators of many cell functions. Here, we show that Sox2OT expression is significantly down-regulated in the retinas of STZ-induced diabetic mice and in the RGCs upon high glucose or oxidative stress. SOX2OT knockdown protects RGCs against high glucose-induced injury in vitro. Moreover, Sox2OT knockdown plays a neuroprotective role in diabetes-related retinal neurodegeneration in vivo. Sox2OT knockdown could regulate oxidative stress response in RGCs and diabetic mouse retinas. Sox2OT knockdown plays an anti-oxidative role via regulating NRF2/HO-1 signaling activity. Taken together, Sox2OT knockdown may be a therapeutic strategy for the prevention and treatment of diabetes-induced retinal neurodegeneration.
KeywordsDiabetic retinopathy Retinal ganglion cell (RGC) Long noncoding RNA NRF2/HO-1 signaling
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors report no conflict of interest.
- Andrew T, Maniatis N, Carbonaro F, Liew S, Lau W, Spector TD, Hammond CJ (2008) Identification and replication of three novel myopia common susceptibility gene loci on chromosome 3q26 using linkage and linkage disequilibrium mapping. PLoS Genet 4(10):e1000220CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Askarian-Amiri ME, Seyfoddin V, Smart CE, Wang J, Kim JE, Hansji H, Baguley BC, Finlay GJ, Leung EY (2014) Emerging role of long non-coding RNA SOX2OT in SOX2 regulation in breast cancerGoogle Scholar
- Chen H, Yu M, Li M, Zhao R, Zhu Q, Zhou W, Lu M, Lu Y, Zheng T, Jiang J (2012) Polymorphic variations in manganese superoxide dismutase (MnSOD), glutathione peroxidase-1 (GPX1), and catalase (CAT) contribute to elevated plasma triglyceride levels in Chinese patients with type 2 diabetes or diabetic cardiovascular disease. Mol Cell Biochem 363(1–2):85–91CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Jazi MS, Samaei NM, Ghanei M, Shadmehr MB, Mowla SJ (2015) Identification of new SOX2OT transcript variants highly expressed in human cancer cell lines and down regulated in stem cell differentiation. Mol Biol Rep 1–8Google Scholar
- Jonsson G, Eysteinsson T (2014) The effects of stimulating and blocking the retinal A2A and A3 adenosine receptors on the components of the rat ERG. Invest Ophth Vis Sci 55(13):1888Google Scholar
- Shi X-M, Teng F (2015) Up-regulation of long non-coding RNA Sox2ot promotes hepatocellular carcinoma cell metastasis and correlates with poor prognosis. Int J Clin Exp Patho 8(4):4008Google Scholar
- Zaverucha-do-Valle C, Mesentier-Louro L, Gubert F, Mortari N, Padilha AB, Paredes BD, Mencalha A, Abdelhay E, Teixeira C, Ferreira FG (2014) Sustained effect of bone marrow mononuclear cell therapy in axonal regeneration in a model of optic nerve crush. Brain Res 1587:54–68CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar