Wogonin Inhibits LPS-Induced Inflammatory Responses in Rat Dorsal Root Ganglion Neurons Via Inhibiting TLR4–MyD88–TAK1-Mediated NF-κB and MAPK Signaling Pathway
Recent studies showed that the activation of toll-like receptor 4 (TLR4) on dorsal root ganglion (DRG) neurons might underlie neuropathic and inflammatory pain states. This study was undertaken to investigate the effects of wogonin, a flavonoid with potent anti-inflammatory properties on the inflammatory reaction and TLR4 dependent pathways in lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-treated DRG neurons. Our results showed that wogonin not only inhibited the expression and interaction of TLR4, MyD88, and TAK1, but also reduced the activation of nuclear factor kappa B and mitogen-activated protein kinases pathway in LPS-treated DRG neurons. Moreover, wogonin significantly suppressed the release of pro-inflammatory mediators in LPS-induced DRG neurons, including cyclooxygenase-2, inducible nitric oxide synthases, interleukin (IL)-1β, IL-6, and tumor necrosis factor-alpha. Our results suggested that pre-treatment with wogonin could attenuate the TLR4-mediated inflammatory response in LPS-induced DRG neurons, thus might be beneficial for the treatment of neuropathic and inflammatory pain.
KeywordsWogonin DRG neurons Inflammatory reaction TLR4 NF-κB MAPK Neuropathic pain
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- Hutchinson MR, Ramos KM, Loram LC, Wieseler J, Sholar PW, Kearney JJ, Lewis MT, Crysdale NY, Zhang Y, Harrison JA, Maier SF, Rice KC, Watkins LR (2009) Evidence for a role of heat shock protein-90 in toll like receptor 4 mediated pain enhancement in rats. Neuroscience 164:1821–1832CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Laedermann CJ, Cachemaille M, Kirschmann G, Pertin M, Gosselin RD, Chang I, Albesa M, Towne C, Schneider BL, Kellenberger S, Abriel H, Decosterd I (2013) Dysregulation of voltage-gated sodium channels by ubiquitin ligase NEDD4-2 in neuropathic pain. J Clin Invest 123:3002–3013CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lysakova-Devine T, Keogh B, Harrington B, Nagpal K, Halle A, Golenbock DT, Monie T, Bowie AG (2010) Viral inhibitory peptide of TLR4, a peptide derived from vaccinia protein A46, specifically inhibits TLR4 by directly targeting MyD88 adaptor-like and TRIF-related adaptor molecule. J Immunol 185:4261–4271CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Madera-Salcedo IK, Cruz SL, Gonzalez-Espinosa C (2013) Morphine prevents lipopolysaccharide-induced TNF secretion in mast cells blocking IkappaB kinase activation and SNAP-23 phosphorylation: correlation with the formation of a beta-arrestin/TRAF6 complex. J Immunology 191:3400–3409CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Orita S, Miyagi M, Kobori S, Gemba T, Ishikawa T, Inoue G, Toyone T, Aoki Y, Eguchi Y, Takahashi K, Ohtori S (2013) IkappaB kinase beta inhibitor downregulates pain-related neuropeptide production in the sensory neurons innervating injured lumbar intervertebral discs in the dorsal root ganglia of rats. Spine J 13:284–288CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sakuma Y, Ohtori S, Miyagi M, Ishikawa T, Inoue G, Doya H, Koshi T, Ito T, Yamashita M, Yamauchi K, Suzuki M, Moriya H, Takahashi K (2007) Up-regulation of p55 TNF alpha-receptor in dorsal root ganglia neurons following lumbar facet joint injury in rats. Eur Spine J 16:1273–1278CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Tang SC, Arumugam TV, Xu X, Cheng A, Mughal MR, Jo DG, Lathia JD, Siler DA, Chigurupati S, Ouyang X, Magnus T, Camandola S, Mattson MP (2007) Pivotal role for neuronal toll-like receptors in ischemic brain injury and functional deficits. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 104:13798–13803CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar