Superheated steam pretreatment of cellulose affects its electrospinnability for microfibrillated cellulose production
- 118 Downloads
In this study, oil palm mesocarp fiber (OPMF) was pretreated with (1) superheated steam (SHS) and (2) potassium hydroxide (KOH) to remove hemicellulose. Both SHS–OPMF and KOH–OPMF underwent delignification step to isolate the cellulose and dissolved in selected ionic liquid and its co-solvent before being electrospun to obtain microfibrillated cellulose (MFC). FE-SEM images showed that SHS–OPMF cellulose produced discontinuous MFC fiber with diameter ranging from 100 to 500 nm, of which 15.5% were in the range of 100–200 nm; while KOH–OPMF cellulose produced continuous MFC with sizes larger than 200 nm. The differences in fiber size and continuity of fiber produced were due to incomplete removal of hemicellulose from SHS–OPMF sample that inhibited fiber re-coalescence and resulted in interruption in fiber formation.
KeywordsMicrofibrillated cellulose Hemicellulose Superheated steam Electrospinning
The authors would like to thank the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia (MOHE) for funding this research and for the provision of MyBrain 15 scholarship to the first and third authors. Authors would like to thank Seri Ulu Langat Palm Oil Mill for the provision of oil palm biomass.
- Bahrin EK, Baharuddin AS, Ibrahim MF, Razak MNA, Sulaiman A, Abd-Aziz S, Hassan MA, Shirai Y, Nishida H (2012) Physiochemical property changes and enzymatic hydrolysis enhancement of oil palm empty fruit bunches treated with superheated steam. BioResources 7:1784–1801Google Scholar
- Mahmud NAN, Baharuddin S, Bahrin EK, Sulaiman A, Naim MN, Zakaria R, Hassan MA, Nishida H, Shirai Y (2013) Enzymatic saccharification of oil palm mesocarp fiber (OPMF) treated with superheated steam. BioResources 8:1320–1331Google Scholar
- Syamsu K, Maddu A, Bahmid NA (2016) Synthesis of nanofiber from oil palm empty fruit bunches cellulose acetate for bioplastics production. J Chem Mater Res 8:56–62Google Scholar
- Warid MNM, Ariffin H, Hassan MA, Shirai Y (2016) Optimization of superheated steam treatment to improve surface modification of oil palm biomass fiber. BioRes 11:5780–5796Google Scholar
- Yasim-Anuar TAT, Ariffin H, Norrrahim MNF, Hassan MA (2017) Factors affecting spinnability of oil palm mesocarp fiber cellulose solution for the production of microfiber. BioResources 12:715–734Google Scholar
- Zhu N, Chen X (2013) Biofabrication of Tissue Scaffolds. Advances in Biomaterials Science and Biomedical Applications. INTECH, United Kingdom, pp 315–328. https://doi.org/10.5772/54125