Fire retardant viscose fiber fabric produced by graft polymerization of phosphorus and nitrogen-containing monomer
- 428 Downloads
A kind of viscose fiber fabric with permanent flame retardancy has been prepared by grafting polymerization of phosphorus and nitrogen-containing monomer, i.e. 2,2-dimethyl-1,3-propanediol acrylamide methoxyl phosphate (DPAMP) onto viscose fiber fabric (VF-g-DPAMP). The effects of the initiator concentration, DPAMP concentration, temperature, pH and time on grafting polymerization were studied, and the structure of VF-g-DPAMP was determined with Fourier transform infrared spectrometry, X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy. The surface morphology of viscose fiber fabric and VF-g-DPAMP were studied by scanning electron microscope. The thermal property and fire retardant performance of VF-g-DPAMP were assessed by thermogravimetric analysis, limited oxygen index measurements and cone calorimeter test, respectively. The results show that DPAMP has been successfully grafted onto viscose fiber fabric, and VF-g-DPAMP has good char-forming ability and better fire retardancy. The pkHRR and THR of the grafted fabric decrease from 150 to 98 kW/m2 and 5.70 to 1.73 MJ/m2, respectively.
KeywordsViscose fiber fabric Grafting polymerization DPAMP Thermal property Flame retardancy
We are grateful for the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 51573134).
- Bychkova EV, Rodzivilova IS, Panova LG, Artemenko SE (2002) Adsorption of fire retardant from dilute aqueous solutions onto viscose fiber. J Appl Chem 75:1591–1593Google Scholar
- Koutu BB, Sharma RK (1996) Synthesis of a flame-retardant dope additive dithiopyroposphate and its effect on viscose rayon fibres. India J Fibre Text Res 21:140–142Google Scholar
- Qiao XD, Song L, Bihe Y, Yu B, Shi YQ, Hu Y, Yuen RKK (2014) Organic/inorganic flame retardants containing phosphorus, nitrogen and silicon: preparation and their performance on the flame retardancy of epoxy resins as a novel intumescent flame retardant system. Mater Chem Phys 143:1243–1252CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Xu L, Cheng BW, Ren YL, Lu YC (2010b) Synthesis of 5,5-dimethyl-2-phospha-1,3-dioxan-2- yl acryamide methoxy phosphate. Fine Chem 27:893–895Google Scholar
- Zhang B, Zhou YY (2008) Synthesis and characterization of graft copolymers of ethyl acrylate/acrylamide mixtures onto starch. Composite 29:506–510Google Scholar