Development of an enantioselective membrane from cellulose acetate propionate/cellulose acetate, for the separation of trans-stilbene oxide
- 281 Downloads
This paper reports the characterization of new synthesized chiral polymeric membranes, based on a cellulose acetate propionate polymer. The flux and permselective properties of the membrane were studied using 50 % ethanol solution of (R,S)-trans-stilbene oxide as feed solution. Scanning electron microscopy revealed the asymmetric structure of these membranes. The roughness of the surface was measured by atomic force microscopy. The resolution of over 97 % enantiomeric excess was achieved when the enantioselective membrane was prepared with 18 wt% cellulose acetate and 8 wt% cellulose acetate propionate in the casting solution of dimethyl formamide/N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone/acetone, at 20 °C and 55 % humidity, and a water bath at 10 °C for the gelation of the membrane. The operating pressure and the feed concentration of the trans-stilbene oxide were 275.57, 345.19, and 413.84 kPa and 2.6 mM, respectively.
KeywordsEnantioselective membrane Chiral separation Cellulose acetate propionate membrane
We gratefully acknowledge support for this research work by Dirección General de Educación Superior Tecnológica (DGEST Grant 4374.11-P). Also, to Ing. Israel Gradilla Martίnez from Centro de Nanociencias y Nanotecnología de la UNAM (CNyN) for SEM analysis, and M.C. Pedro Navarro-Vega from Centro de Graduados e Investigación del Instituto Tecnológico de Tijuana (CGI-ITT) for AFM analysis.
- Ahuja S (2000) Chiral separations by chromatography. Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Jacoby M (2005) Taxol. Chem Eng News 83(25):120. doi: 10.1021/cen-v083n025.p120
- Jacques J, Collet A, Wilen S (1981) Enantiomers racemates, and resolutions. Wiley/Interscience, New York, p 5Google Scholar
- Jiang YD, Zhang JH, Xie SM, Lv YC, Zhang M, Ma C, Yuan LM (2012) Chiral separation of D, l-tyrosine through nitrocellulose membrane. J Appl Polym Sci 124:5187–5193Google Scholar
- Rouhi M (2005) Thalidomide. Chem Eng News 83:25 122Google Scholar
- Tian FY, Zhang JH, Duan AH, Wang BJ, Yuan LM (2012) Chiral separation of D, L mandelic acid using an enantioselective membrane formed by polycondensation of β-cyclodextrin with1,6-diisocyanatohexane on a polysulfone membrane. J Membr Sep Tech 1:72–78Google Scholar