Synthesis of regioselectively brominated cellulose esters and 6-cyano-6-deoxycellulose esters
- 567 Downloads
The control of regiochemistry in the synthesis of polysaccharide derivatives is one of the most significant scientific challenges in the field. Its importance is only further highlighted by the individual successes in synthesis of regioselectively substituted derivatives, in particular cellulose esters and ethers, over the last 20 years. The availability of these samples and studies of their properties versus randomly substituted analogs has shown clearly that properties like solubility, aggregation phenomena, and optical properties depend heavily on the regiochemistry of substitution. We report here on the one-pot synthesis of novel 6-bromo-6-deoxy-2,3-O-acylcellulose derivatives, which as more organic soluble derivatives of 6-bromo-6-deoxycellulose should allow broader exploitation of the highly regioselective cellulose 6-bromination chemistry. We illustrate the potential of these new derivatives by conversion to 6-cyano-6-deoxycellulose esters.
KeywordsCellulose ester Regioselective synthesis 6-Bromo-6-deoxycellulose 6-Cyano-6-deoxycellulose Polysaccharide derivative
This work was supported primarily by the Institute for Critical Technology and Applied Science (ICTAS) at Virginia Tech. The authors would also like to thank Mark Flynn for running the GPC analyses.
- Furuhata K-i, Koganei K, Chang H-S, Aoki N, Sakamoto M (1992) Dissolution of cellulose in lithium bromide-organic solvent systems and homogeneous bromination of cellulose with N-bromosuccinimide-triphenylphosphine in lithium bromide-N, N-dimethylacetamide. Carbohydr Res 230:165–177CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Heinze T, Liebert T, Koschella A (2006) Esterification of polysaccharides. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Klemm D, Shmauder H-P, Heinze T (2002) Cellulose. In: Vandamme EJ, Baets SD, Steinbüchel A (eds) Biopolymers, vol. 6, polysaccharides II: polysaccharides from eukaryotes. Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, pp 275–319Google Scholar
- Liebert T, Wotschadlo J, Gericke M, Köhler S, Laudeley P, Heinze T (2009) Modification of cellulose in ionic liquids towards biomedical applications. In: Polysaccharide materials: performance by design, vol 1017. ACS symposium series, vol 1017. American Chemical Society, pp 115–132Google Scholar
- Perlack RD, Wright LL, Turhollow AF, Graham RL, Stokes BJ, Erbach DC (2005) Biomass as feedstock for a bioenergy and bioproducts industry: the technical feasability of a billion-ton annual supply. United States Department of Energy. doi: 10.2172/885984
- Rubo A, Kellens R, Reddy J, Steier N, Hasenpusch W (2000) Alkali metal cyanides. In: Ullmann’s encyclopedia of industrial chemistry. Wiley, New JerseyGoogle Scholar