A global regularisation for integrating the Caledonian symmetric four-body problem
Several papers in the last decade have studied the Caledonian symmetric four-body problem (CSFBP), a restricted four-body system with a symmetrically reduced phase space. During these studies, difficulties have arisen when the system approaches a close encounter. These are due to collision singularities causing numerical integration algorithms to fail. In this paper, we give the full details of a regularisation approach that now enables us to study these close encounters and collision events. The resulting equations of motion can be efficiently integrated by a high-order integrator. The results from numerical testing of the algorithm verify that the regularisation is advantageous in preserving numerical stability. The effectiveness of the approach is illustrated for a range of CSFBP orbits. Numerical experiments show that the newly developed regularisation algorithm has excellent energy conservation properties.
KeywordsRegularisation Close encounters Restricted four-body problem Caledonian symmetrical four-body problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Celletti A.: Singularities, collisions and regularisation theory. In: Benest, D., Froeschlé, C. (eds) Singularities in Gravitational Systems, pp. 25–50. Springer, Berlin (2002)Google Scholar
- Everhart E.: An efficient integrator that uses Gauss–Radau spacings. In: Caruci, A., Valsecchi, G.B. (eds) The Dynamics of Comets: Their Origin and Evolution, pp. 185–202. Reidel, Dordrecht (1985)Google Scholar
- Gruntz D., Waldvogel J.: Orbits in the planar three-body problem. In: Gander, W., Hrebicek, J. (eds) Solving Problems in Scientific Computing Using Maple and Matlab, pp. 51–72. Springer, New York (1998)Google Scholar
- Sivasankaran, A., Steves, B.A., Sweatman, W.L.: Close encounters in the Caledonian symmetric four-body problem. In: Varvoglis, H., Knez̆ević, Z. (eds.) Proceedings of the International Conference on the Dynamics of Celestial Bodies, Greece, June 2008, pp. 177–180. Aristotle University, Thessaloniki and Astronomical Observatory, Belgrade (2009) Google Scholar
- Steves B.A., Roy A.E.: Surfaces of separation in the Caledonian symmetrical double binary four-body problem. In: Steves, B.A., Maciejewski, A.J. (eds) The Restless Universe: Application of Gravitational N-body Dynamics to Planetary, Stellar and Galactic Systems, pp. 301–325. IOP Publishing, Bristol (2001)Google Scholar