A parametric study of stability and resonances around L 4 in the elliptic restricted three-body problem
- 180 Downloads
The size of the stable region around the Lagrangian point L 4 in the elliptic restricted three-body problem is determined by numerical integration as a function of the mass parameter and eccentricity of the primaries. The size distribution of the stable regions in the mass parameter-eccentricity plane shows minima at certain places that are identified with resonances between the librational frequencies of motions around L 4. These are computed from an approximate analytical equation of Rabe relating the frequency, mass parameter and eccentricity. Solutions of this equation are determined numerically and the global behaviour of the frequencies depending on the mass parameter and eccentricity is shown and discussed. The minimum sizes of the stable regions around L 4 change along the resonances and the relative strength of the resonances is analysed. Applications to possible Trojan exoplanets are indicated. Escape from L 4 is also investigated.
KeywordsElliptic restricted three-body problem Lagrangian point L4 Stability Resonances Trojan planets Rabe’s frequency equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dvorak, R., Schwarz, R., Lhotka, Ch.: On the dynamics of Trojan planets in extrasolar planetary systems. In: Exoplanets: Detection, Formation and Dynamics. Proceedings of the IAU Symposium No. 249, pp. 461–468 (2008a)Google Scholar
- Marchal C.: Predictability, stability and chaos in dynamical systems. In: Roy, A.E.(eds) Predictability, Stability and Chaos in N-Body Dynamical Systems, pp. 73–91. Plenum Press, New York (1991)Google Scholar
- Markellos V.V., Papadakis K.E., Perdios E.A.: Non-linear stability zones around the triangular Lagrangian points. In: Roy, A.E., Steves, B.(eds) From Newton to Chaos, pp. 371–377. Plenum Press, New York (1995)Google Scholar
- Rabe E.: Two new classes of periodic Trojan librations in the elliptic restricted problem and their stabilities. In: Giacaglia, G.E.O.(eds) Periodic Orbits, Stability and Resonances, pp. 33–44. D. Reidel Publication Company, Dordrecht (1970)Google Scholar
- Rabe E.: Elliptic restricted problem: fourth-order stability analysis of the triangular points. In: Tapley, E.D., Szebehely, V.(eds) Recent Advances in Dynamical Astronomy, pp. 155–160. D. Reidel Publication Company, Dordrecht (1973)Google Scholar