“Harry Wynne” Child & Youth Care Practices and Values: A Reflection on a Study of Heroin Misusers in Ireland
- 69 Downloads
This discussion paper sets out to explore ‘doing’ research with a hard-to-reach population from a relational child and youth care perspective. It sets out some of the delimitations in undertaking such research and discusses some of our findings in realtion to the individual and the family contexts.
Keywordsheroin use relational research child and youth care addiction research youth work research availability snowball sampling research ethics
Thanks to my research colleague on this study, Gráinne Monaghan, for her good humor and work ethic. Thanks to Bill Ebbitt, Acting Regional Health Promotion Manager, Health Service Executive Midlands and Interim Coordinator of the Midlands Regional Drugs Task Force for his person-centred approach throughout our study.
- Aichorn A., (1935). Wayward youth Viking Press, New York, NY Google Scholar
- Beedel, C. (1968). The residential setting and the worker’s tasks within it. Approved Schools Gazette. LXI (2)Google Scholar
- Bettelheim B., (1950). Love is not enough: The treatment of emotionally disturbed children Free Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Burmeister E. E. (1960). The professional houseparent New York: Columbia University PressGoogle Scholar
- Gannon B., (2003). The improbable relationship Relational Child and Youth Care Practice 16(3): 5–8Google Scholar
- Garfat T., (2003). Editorial. Relational Child and Youth Care Practice, 16(3): 3–6 Google Scholar
- Garfat, T., & McElwee, N. (2004). Effective interventions with families. Cape Town: Pretext PublishersGoogle Scholar
- Maier, H. W. (1960). Essential ingredients for the care and treatment of children in child care institutions. Proceedings of the Third Annual Conference of the Nebraska Conference on Child Care (pp. 1–16). Nebraska Psychiatric InstituteGoogle Scholar
- McElwee, N. C., & Monaghan, G. (2005). Darkness on the edge of town: An exploration of heroin misuse in Athlone & Portlaoise. Available from the Centre for Child & Youth Care Learning, Athlone Institute of Technology, Athlone, Ireland at http://www.ait.ie/faculties/humanities/ccycl.shtmlGoogle Scholar
- McElwee N. C., Lalor K., (1997). Prostitution in Waterford City: A contemporary analysis StreetSmart Press, WaterfordGoogle Scholar
- Redl F., Wineman D., (1951). Children who hate: The disorganization and breakdown of behavior controls The Free Press, New York Google Scholar