Synthesis of Terpineol from α-Pinene Using Low-Price Acid Catalyst
- 99 Downloads
This study aims to produce terpineol from α-pinene by direct one-stage hydration reaction mechanism. The study was focused to investigate the influence of organic acids and mixture acid catalyst between organic acid and phosphoric acid. Based on the experimental results and depending on the acid strength and affinity of catalyst to the carbocation mechanism, p-toluensulfonic acid was shown to have a better result compared to acetic and formic acid. The presence of phosphoric acid could boost the performance of acetic acid in term of acidity strength that increased the conversion of the reaction. The highest yield of terpineol from α-pinene in this hydration reaction in this study was 53.5 wt% using mixed phosphoric and acetic acid.
Keywordsα-Pinene Terpineol One-stage reaction Hydration Acid catalyst
The authors acknowledge a generous funding from the Program Penelitian, Pengabdian kepada Masyarakat, dan Inovasi (P3MI-2017) Kelompok Keahlian ITB 2017. Part of this research was also funded by 2018 KIST School Partnership Project of Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST). The author would like to thank Perhutani Pine Chemical Industry (PPCI), Pemalang, Indonesia for the research support.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
All contributing authors certify that they have NO affiliations with or involvement in any organization or entity with any financial or non-financial interest in the subject matter contained in this manuscript.
- 1.Nuhfendi (2014) Feasibility analysis of perhutani gondarumen and trupentine-derived plant development. Master Thesis, Gadjah Mada UniversityGoogle Scholar
- 2.Panda H (2005) Aromatic plants cultivation, processing and uses. Asia Pacific Business Press, DelhiGoogle Scholar
- 3.Sheffield DH (1936) Method for the production of terpineol from pinene, US Patent 2060597Google Scholar
- 4.Sheffield DH (1939) Method for the production of terpineol from pinene, US Patent 2178349Google Scholar
- 5.Utami H, Budiman A, Sutijan S, Roto R, Sediawan WB (2010) Synthesis of α-terpineol from turpentine by hydration in a batch reactor. In: 17th ASEAN regional symposium on Chemical Engineering, Bangkok, ThailandGoogle Scholar
- 7.Mckim PA (1949) Terpinol hydrate and terpineol from sulfate turpentine, PhD Dissertation, Louisiana State UniversityGoogle Scholar
- 8.Wijayati N, Pranowo HD, Jumina T (2011) Synthesis of terpineol from α-pinene catalyzed by TCA/Y-Zeolite. Indo J Chem 11:234Google Scholar
- 9.Amilia N (2013) Pengaruh Temperatur pada Reaksi Hidrasi α-Pinena menjadi α-Terpineol Sistem Heterogen dengan Katalis Zeolit Alam Teraktivasi (in Bahasa), Bachelor Thesis, Universitas Negeri SemarangGoogle Scholar
- 11.Indarto A, Choi JW, Lee H, Song HK (2008) The kinetic studies of direct methane oxidation to methanol in the plasma process. Chin Sci Bull 18:2783Google Scholar
- 13.Tama Y (2012) Synthesis Terpineol from Turpentine, Master Thesis, Institut Teknologi BandungGoogle Scholar
- 15.Herrlinger R (1959) Production of alpha terpineol, US Patent 1898380Google Scholar
- 18.Falbe J, Bahrmann H, Lipps W, Mayer D (2000) Alcohols, aliphatic, ullman’s encyclopedia of industrial chemistry. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar