The Role of Tungsten Oxide Species Supported on Titania Catalysts for the Synthesis of Glycerol Carbonate from Glycerol and Urea
A series of WO3 supported on TiO2 catalysts were prepared by impregnation method with varying WO3 content. The prepared catalysts were characterized by FT-IR, Laser Raman, X-ray diffraction, BET surface area and temperature programmed desorption of NH3. X-ray diffraction and Laser Raman spectroscopic results suggest that WO3 was highly dispersed on titania up to 15 wt%. Acidity of the catalyst depended up on WO3 loading on titania and calcination temperature. The catalyst with 15 % WO3 content calcined at 500 °C exhibited high surface area and high acidity. Activity of the catalysts was evaluated for the synthesis of glycerol carbonate from glycerol and urea. The catalytic activity results showed that 15 % WO3 supported on TiO2 exhibited about 73 % glycerol conversion with near 100 % selectivity for glycerol carbonate. The influence of support on glycerol conversion was also studied and activities for different supports were in the order of TiO2 > SiO2 > MoO3 > Nb2O5 > ZrO2 > Al2O3. Different reaction parameters were also studied and optimum conditions were established. The catalyst is reusable without considerable loss in activity.
KeywordsGlycerol Glycerol carbonate Titania Tungsten oxide Urea
The authors thank to Council of Scientific Industrial Research (CSIR), India for the financial support in the form of Indus magic (CSC-0123) Project under 12th Five Year Program.
- 3.Pachauri N, He B (2006) ASABE annual international meeting, Portland, Oregon 9–12 JulyGoogle Scholar
- 22.Sasa T, Okutsu M, Uno M (2009) JP Patent 2007-234982 2009067689Google Scholar
- 24.Okutsu M, Kitsuki T (2000) WO Patent 2000-JP1072 2000050415Google Scholar
- 25.Okutsu M (2007) JP Patent 2005-222721 2010040768Google Scholar
- 41.Jiang YH, Sun YM, Zhao CX, Wu M, Yin HB, Chen KM (2007) New Chem Mater 35:28–30Google Scholar