Assessment of the Catalytic Activities of Novel Brönsted Acidic Ionic Liquid Catalysts
- 388 Downloads
Brönsted acidic ionic liquids (BILs) were synthesized by a two step synthetic protocol. Catalytic activities of BILs were assessed by means of suitable catalytic reactions such as acylation of 2-methoxynapthalene with acetic anhydride, Biginelli reaction to synthesize 3,4-dihydropyrimidin-2(1H)-one, stereoselective synthesis of β-amino ketone via direct Mannich-type reaction and esterification of hexanoic acid with benzyl alcohol. Catalytic activities of BILs were high when compared with those of solid acid catalysts such as ZSM-5, beta, dealuminated beta and Al-SBA-15. BILs catalysts were found to be highly stereo/regio-selective for above mentioned reactions. Novel BILs catalyst offers several attractive features such as low cost, high catalytic activity/selectivity and recyclability.
KeywordsBrönsted acidic ionic liquids Acylation Biginelli reaction β-Amino ketone Esterification
Author thanks Mr. Anu Prathap for his help in NMR and IR measurements. Author thanks Prof. M. K. Surappa, Director, IIT Ropar and Prof. B. D. Gupta, Head, Department of Chemistry, IIT Ropar for their constant encouragements.
- 5.Smith MB, March J (2001) March’s advanced organic chemistry, chap 8. Wiley-Interscience, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 6.Ritter SK (2001) Chem Eng News 79:63Google Scholar
- 9.Srivastava R, Choi M, Ryoo R (2006) Chem Commun:4489Google Scholar
- 13.Abbott AP, Capper G, Davies DL, Munro HL, Rasheed RK, Tambyrajah V (2001) Chem Commun:2010Google Scholar
- 20.Gazz, Biginelli P (1893) Chem Ital 23:360Google Scholar
- 32.Eftekhari-Sis B, Abdollahifa A, Hashemi MM, Zirak M (2006) Eur J Org Chem 51:52Google Scholar
- 33.Iimura S, Nobutou D, Manabe K, Kobayashi S (2003) Chem Commun:1644Google Scholar