DRIFT Studies of Adsorbed CO Over Sulfided K–Rh–Mo/Al2O3 Catalysts: Detection of Rh–Mo–S Phase
- 153 Downloads
Diffuse reflectance infrared Fourier transform (DRIFT) spectroscopy was used to study the nature of active species in K–Rh–Co–MoS2/Al2O3 catalyst by means of probing with CO molecule. The effects of K addition to Rh and interaction between Mo and Rh were studied with varying K and Mo loadings over 1 wt% Rh/Al2O3 catalyst. In sulfided Rh–Mo/Al2O3, the formation of Rh–Mo–S phase was evidenced first time by a band at 2,095 cm−1. The introduction of Co to K–Rh–MoS2/Al2O3 catalyst showed the existence of both Rh and Co promoted MoS2 sites, but the CO absorption frequencies in DRIFT spectra are significantly at lower side compared to Co free Rh–Mo catalyst. The stabilities of CO band from Rh and Co promoted and unpromoted MoS2 sites are studied at different temperatures. When activated carbon used as support, bands for both promoted and unpromoted MoS2 sites were appeared, but the intensity of these bands were decreased largely compared to alumina based catalyst, resulted from the coverage of added K not only on the support surface but also on the active metal components due to the neutral nature of activated carbon.
KeywordsRh–Mo–S phase Rh–Mo interaction K–Rh interaction Modified MoS2 catalyst CO adsorption
The financial support by Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada to Dr. A. K. Dalai for this work is gratefully acknowledged.
- 1.Murchison CB, Conway MM, Stevens RR, Quarderer CJ (1988) In: Phillips MJ, Ternan M (eds) Proceedings of 9th International Congress on Catalysis, vol 2, Calgary, Chemical Institute of Canada, Ottawa, p 626Google Scholar
- 2.Santiesteban JC, Boogdan CE, Herman RG, Klier K (1988) In: Phillips MJ, Ternan M (eds) Proceedings of 9th International Congress on Catalysis, vol 2, Calgary, Chemical Institute of Canada, OttawaGoogle Scholar
- 4.Natta G, Colombo U, Pasquon I (1957) In: Catalysis, vol 131, ed. EmmettGoogle Scholar
- 14.Wong SF, Storm DA, Patel MS, US Patents 4 980 380, 1990 and 4 983 638, 1991, to TexacoGoogle Scholar
- 16.Sudhakar C, Bhore NA, Bischoff KB, Manogue WH, Mills GA (1987) Proceedings of 10th Meeting of the Catalysis Society of North America, San Diego, CAGoogle Scholar
- 30.Mills GA (1994) Summary of the higher alcohols synthesis workshop, B. R. Service CorporationGoogle Scholar
- 31.Koizumi N, Bian G, Murai K, Ozaki T, Yamada M (2004) J Mol Catal A 207:171Google Scholar
- 39.Davydov AA (1990) Infrared spectroscopy of adsorbed species on the surface of transition metal oxides. Wiley, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 43.Gulielminotti E, Giamello E, Pinna F, Strukul G, Martinengo S, Zanderighi L (1993) In: Guczi L, Solymosi E, Tetenyi P (eds) New frontiers in catalysis. Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar