Alkylation of Phenol with tert-Butanol Catalyzed by Mesoporous Material with Enhanced Acidity Synthesized from Zeolite MCM-22
- 309 Downloads
Using zeolite MCM-22 as source and cetyltrimethylammonium bromide (CTAB) as template, mesoporous material denoted as M-MCM-22 with enhanced acidity has been synthesized and characterized by XPD, FT-IR, N2 adsorption–desorption, 27Al-MAS NMR, IR spectra of pyridine adsorption, and NH3-TPD techniques, etc. The catalytic performance of M-MCM-22 was tested in alkylation of phenol with tert-butanol, indicating that M-MCM-22 showed highly and steadily catalytic properties. The highest conversion of phenol could be achieved at 418 K, while the highest selectivity to 2, 4-di-TBP was obtained at 398 K. It is found that high temperature is advantageous to form 4-TBP, whereas low weight hourly space velocity (WHSV/h−1) is helpful for both conversion of phenol and selectivity to 2,4-DTBP. It is also shown that high ratio of tert-butanol/phenol is beneficial for obtaining high conversion of phenol and selectivity to 2,4-di-TBP.
KeywordsMesoporous MCM-22 Enhanced acidity Butylation Phenol
We thank the National Basic Research Program of China (2004CB217804) and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (20673046) for financial support of this work.
- 1.Sartori G, Bigi F, Casiraghi G, Carnati G, Chiesi L, Arduini A (1985) Chem Ind 22:762–763Google Scholar
- 4.Sartori G, Bigi F, Casiraghi G, Casnati G, Chiesi L, Arduini A (1985) Chem Ind (London) 22:762–763Google Scholar
- 18.Knop A, Pilato LA (1985) Phenolic resin chemistry Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 21.Kloetstra KR, van Bekkum H, Jansen JC (1997) Chem Commun 2281–2282Google Scholar
- 36.Jacobs PA, Derouane EG, Weitkamp J (1981) J Chem Soc Chem Commun 591–593Google Scholar