The Synthesis and Evaluation of Up-scalable Molybdenum Based Ultra Dispersed Catalysts: Effect of Temperature on Particle Size
- 328 Downloads
Unsupported molybdenum (Mo) micro/nanoparticle size range catalysts have been synthesized via precursor salts dissolved within a water-in-oil emulsion and online injected to a decomposition zone simulating processing conditions. The particles were characterized via DLS, reactivity tests and SEM. The effect of decomposition temperature on particle sizes was studied in both a horizontal reactor and vertical reactor configuration.
KeywordsMo catalyst Nanocatalyst synthesis Hydroprocessing Hydrotreating Sub-micron catalyst synthesis Water-in-oil emulsion Nanoparticle
The authors acknowledge the substantial financial support provided by the Alberta Ingenuity Fund via Alberta Ingenuity Centre for In Situ Energy (AICISE) at the University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. We would also like to acknowledge Vieman Ali Marcano and Eumir Hernandez who assisted in carrying out the reactivity tests.
- 5.Osseo-Asare K, Boakye E, Vittal M, Radovic LR (1995) Novel nanodispersed coal liquefaction catalysts: molecular design via microemulsion-based synthesis. Master of Science Thesis. Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PAGoogle Scholar
- 7.Davis SC, Klabunde KJ (1982) Chem Soc Rev 82:153Google Scholar
- 11.Wang J (2004) Synthesis and characterization of submicron molybdenum catalyst particles obtained from water/oil emulsions for heavy oil upgrading. Master of Science Thesis, Department of Chemical & Petroleum Engineering, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, CanadaGoogle Scholar
- 12.Vasquez A (2007) Ultra dispersed catalysts for hydroprocessing. Master of Science Thesis, Chemical and Petroleum Engineering, University of Calgary, CalgaryGoogle Scholar
- 14.Zetasizer Nano Series User Manual MAN0317 Issue 1.0 Series (2003) Malvern Instruments, Ltd., EnglandGoogle Scholar
- 15.Wang J, Hill JM, Pereira-Almao P (2004) Controllable synthesis in a continuous mode of unsupported molybdenum catalysts with micro/nano size for heavy oil upgrading. Canadian International Petroleum Conference, Calgary, AB, Canada, p 41Google Scholar
- 16.JADE 6.5.12 XRD Pattern Processing 6.5.12 Series (2003) Materials Data Inc., Livermore, CaliforniaGoogle Scholar