A Novel Combustion Synthesis Preparation of CuO/ZnO/ZrO2/Pd for Oxidative Hydrogen Production from Methanol
- 261 Downloads
Complex catalysts containing combinations of copper, zinc, zirconium, and palladium oxides were prepared via three combustion synthesis routes including volume combustion, impregnated substrate combustion, and so-called second wave impregnation combustion methods. These catalysts were characterized via XRD, XPS, N2O decomposition and BET techniques and evaluated for their activity and selectivity for the partial oxidation of methanol. The novel second combustion wave method showed superior palladium active metal loadings compared to conventional volume combustion synthesis modes. Palladium is also shown to significantly lower the reduction temperature of bulk CuO. Combustion synthesis based methods show promise for synthesis of methanol reforming catalysts.
KeywordsMethanol partial oxidation Copper Palladium Catalyst Combustion synthesis
SS and EEW gratefully acknowledge funding from the International Copper Association (ICA) for support of this work. AM and PD were supported by the U.S. Army CECOM RDEC through Agreement DAAB07-03-3-K414. Such support does not constitute endorsement by the U.S. Army of the views expressed in this publication.
- 15.Velu S, Suzuki K, Osaki T (1999) Chem Commun 2341–2342Google Scholar
- 24.Wolf EE, Schuyten SJ, Suh DJ (2007) In: Potyrailo RA, Maier WF (eds) Combinatorial and high-throughput discovery and optimization of catalysts and materials, ch 7, CRC pressGoogle Scholar
- 30.Lan A, Mukasyan A (2007) J Phys Chem 26:9573–9582Google Scholar
- 37.Stevens R (1986) Zirconia and Zirconia ceramics, 2nd edn. Magnesium Elektron Ltd, United KingdomGoogle Scholar
- 38.Borovinskaya IP, Loryan VE, Grigoryan EA, Salnikova EN, Pershikova NI (1992) Int J SHS 1:131–134Google Scholar