Catalytic Method for N-Methyl-4-pyridone Synthesis in the Presence of ZnAl2O4
- 205 Downloads
A composite oxide ZnAl2O4 was prepared by microwave-assisted hydrothermal treatment, a precursor mixture of hydroxides obtained by precipitation of aluminium and zinc nitrates. Characterization by TEM, XRD and textural studies shows that ZnAl2O4 is nanosized and is a micro/mesoporous material with large a surface area (140 m2/g). The gas phase catalytic methylation of 4-hydroxypyridine in the presence of the ZnAl2O4 catalyst was performed in a continuous process at atmospheric pressure in the temperature range of 240–360 °C. A mixture of O- and N-alkylated products, namely 4-methoxypyridine and N-methyl-4-pyridone were obtained. The alkylation of 4-hydroxypyridine with methanol at 345 °C offered 87.6% selectivity towards N-methyl-4-pyridone with about 89% 4-hydroxypyridine conversion.
Keywords4-Hydroxypyridine Zinc aluminate Catalytic gas phase methylation N-Methyl-4-pyridone
The authors are very grateful to Mrs Ludwina Krajczyk for HRTEM studies and to Prof. Janusz Trawczyński for his help in acidity measurements.
- 1.Electronic Medicines Compendium http://emc.medicines.org.uk/emc/assets/c/html/DisplayDoc.asp?DocumentID=6380
- 2.Stetinova V, Grossmann V (2000) Exp Toxicol Pathol 52:473Google Scholar
- 5.Gibson D, Clarke D, Winscom Ch (2000) US Pat 6,841,344Google Scholar
- 10.Ren ZW, Zhou DB, Tu SQ (2007) Chin J Catal 8:217Google Scholar
- 11.International Centre for Diffraction Date, ICDD, PDF-4 + 2005Google Scholar
- 16.Sparks AK (1972) US Patent 3,670,030Google Scholar
- 17.Leach BE (1980) US Patent 4,227,024Google Scholar
- 18.IUPAC Recommendations (1994) Pure Appl Chem 66:1739Google Scholar