KF/Al2O3 as Solid Base for the Synthesis of Polycarbonate Diols (PCDLs)
- 361 Downloads
Polycarbonate diols (PCDLs) are known as important intermediate for the manufacture of novel polyurethanes. In this work, a series of KF loaded oxides and alumina doped with potassium halides were prepared and employed as the catalysts for the PCDL synthesis via the reaction of hextane-1, 6-diols (HD) and dimethyl carbonate (DMC) followed by vacuum oligomerization. Experimental results indicated that among the catalysts tested, KF/Al2O3 exhibited the best catalytic activity. Moreover, the catalyst could be reused for three times with acceptable catalytic activity. The basic centres with medium and strong strength generated through the interaction between KF and Al2O3 were catalytically active for the reaction.
KeywordsPolycarbonate diols Alumina-supported potassium fluoride Solid base catalyst Recyclable catalyst
This work was financially supported by the Innovation Fund from Institute of Coal Chemistry of Chinese Academy of Sciences and the Undergraduate Innovation Fund of the Science and Technology Development Project of Tai Yuan, Shan Xi province, China.
- 1.Murai, Takaaki(Hiroshima, JP), Fujii and Tatsumi(Hiroshima, JP), US Pat., 4,978,691, 1990Google Scholar
- 2.Yokota, Masahisa(Nobeoka, JP), Shimizu, Atsushi(Yokohama, JP), Komiya, Kyosuke(Kurashiki, JP), Yamataka, Kazunori(Yokohama, JP), Nomura and Tadanori(Nobeoka, JP), US Pat., 5,070,173, 1991Google Scholar
- 4.Greco and Alberto(Milan, IT), US Pat., 5,847,069, 1998Google Scholar
- 5.Schlemenat, Andreas(Krefeld, DE), Tillack, Jorg(Bergisch Gladbach, DE), Laue, Jorg(Dormagen, DE), Witossek and Herbert(Leipzig, DE), US Pat., 6,833,433, 2004Google Scholar
- 6.Grey and Roger A., US Pat., 5, 171, 830, 1992Google Scholar
- 7.Hofacker, Steffen(Butzbach, DE), Gurtler, Christoph(Koln, DE), Tillack, Jorg and (Bergisch Gladbach, DE), US Pat. Application No., 20030125576, 2003Google Scholar
- 9.Hamaide T, Spitz R, Letourneux JP, Claverie J, Guyot A (1994) Macromol Symp 88:191Google Scholar
- 12.Ando T, Yamawaki J (1981) Synth Org Chem Jpn 39:14Google Scholar
- 16.Honda T, Ikemoto J, Eda K, Kurata T (1997) Nihon Yukagakkaishi 46:57Google Scholar
- 18.Hattori H, Shima M, Kabashima H (2000) Stud Surf Sci Catal D 130:3507Google Scholar