Zirconium sulfate supported on activated carbon as catalyst for esterification of oleic acid by n-butanol under solvent-free conditions
- 325 Downloads
It has been shown that the activated carbon-supported zirconium sulfate (ZS) is an efficient solid catalyst for the esterification of oleic acid by n-butanol under solvent-free condition. The effect of mole ratio of the reactant, time and catalyst loading on the conversion was examined. The correlation among XRD, nitrogen adsorption data and catalytic activity suggested that ZS has been finely dispersed on activated carbon, which are active in the esterification of oleic acid. The reaction shows that the supported ZS exhibits a higher activity than that of parent ZS and conventional resins.
Keywordszirconium sulfate activated carbon esterification oleic acid
The authors are thankful to the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 20076004) and Malaysia Ministry of Science and Technology (IRPA grant 09-02-02-0033) for the financial support. We are also grateful to UNESCO/China Great Wall Co-Sponsored program for a fellowship to J.C. Juan.
- 2.Wilson K., Clark J.H. (2000) Pure Appl. Chem. Vol. 72:1313Google Scholar
- 4.Cao W., Zhang J., Lv Q. (2000) J. Petrochem. Univ. 13:41Google Scholar
- 5.Cao W., Zhang J., Lv Q. (1999) J. Beijing Univ. Chem. Tech. 26:72Google Scholar
- 6.J.C. Juan, Y. Jiang, X. Meng, W. Cao, M.A. Yarmo, J.C. Zhang, Mater. Res. Bull. xxx (2006) xxx–xxx. (in press)Google Scholar
- 7.Richard D., Gallezot P. (1987) Preparation of Catalysts IV. Elsevier, Amsterdam, p. 71Google Scholar
- 9.Zhang J.C., Meng X., Cao W. (2006) Chinese J. Catal. 27:135Google Scholar