Comparing quantitative and qualitative indices of the donated corneas maintained in Optisol-GS with those kept in Eusol-C
- 338 Downloads
This study was conducted to compare the quantitative and qualitative indices of the donated corneas maintained in either Optisol-GS or Eusol-C storage media. In an ante-grade single blind study, two corneas from each donor with a death to preservation time of less than 30 h and with a minimum of “an apparent good cornea rating” were maintained in corneal storage media; randomly one in Optisol-GS and the other in Eusol-C. Slit-lamp biomicroscopic and specular microscopic examinations were performed on days 1 and 7. The results of the qualitative and quantitative indices and the final cornea rating were recorded. Statistical analyses were performed to evaluate any differences between the two media. 180 corneas from 90 donors with an age range of 29.3 ± 22.4 years were allocated in two groups: 90 corneas in Optisol-GS and the other 90 in Eusol-C. Five corneas in Optisol-GS and four corneas in Eusol-C were excluded from the study due to lack of specular images. There was no significant change of endothelial rating from day 1 to day 7 between two media (P = 0.175). As the maintenance time of the donated corneas increased, no significant difference was noted between the two groups in terms of endothelial indices, stromal edema, and Descemet’s folding. This study shows no superiority between Eusol-C and Optisol-GS in short term preservation of donated corneas.
KeywordsOptisol-GS Eusol-C Specular microscopy Cornea Endothelial indices
The authors wish to gratefully acknowledge the assistance of Mrs. Mahnoosh Rezaei Kanavi, Mr. Hadi Kermanizadeh and Mr. Kambiz Bayat Makoo.
Conflict of interest
- Chaibpracob J et al (2006) New corneal preservation media. Eusol-C vs. Optisol-GS. Presented as abstract at EBAA 2006, Toronto, Canada Google Scholar
- European Eye Bank Association (EEBA) Standards (2013) Technical Guidelines for Ocular Tissue, Revision 6. http://www.europeaneyebanks.org/files/Technical_Guidelines_Rev6_Feb2013.pdf
- Medical Standards (2003) The Eye Bank Association of America Medical Standards Revision: A1.100 Scope, cyber-sight. http://www.cybersight.org/bins/content_page.asp?cid=1-1581-1775
- Mohammad A, Ali N, Reza B, Ali K (2012) Effect of ascorbic acid supplementation on nitric oxide metabolites and systolic blood pressure in rats exposed to lead. Indian J Pharmacol 42:78–81Google Scholar
- Scott-Bryan G et al (2006) Eusol-C effectiveness as a corneal storage media. Presented at EEBA 2006, Venice, ItalyGoogle Scholar
- Wu G, Greene LW (1992) Glutamine and glucose metabolism in bovine blood lymphocytes. Comp Biochem Physiol 103:821–825Google Scholar