The Relationship Between Depression and Other Psychosocial Problems in a Sample of Adolescent Pregnancy Termination Patients
At-risk adolescents experience troubling levels of depression but there is a dearth of research related to the levels of depression and associated psychosocial problems experienced by adolescent abortion patients. The relationship between depression and 16 other psychosocial life problems is examined in a sample of adolescent pregnancy termination patients. Using the Multidimensional Adolescent Assessment Scale (MAAS), depression and related psychosocial problems are assessed in a sample of 120 U.S. abortion patients ages 14–21. In general, patients scoring above the clinical cutscore for depression also reported higher levels of psychosocial problems in the other areas. Depression was significantly associated with problems with self-esteem, stress, guilt and confused thinking. Implications for practice and research are discussed.
KeywordsAbortion Adolescent Depression Pregnancy termination patients Psychosocial problems
- Abdi, H. (2007). Multiple correlation coefficient. In N. Salkind (Ed.), Encyclopedia of measurement and statistics. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Akinbami, L. J., Schoendorf, K. C., & Kiely, J. L. (2000). Risk of preterm birth in multiparous teenagers. Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, 154, 1101–1107.Google Scholar
- Department of Health and Human Services (2006). Background statistics: Teen sexual activity. Retrieved August 8, 2008 from http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/fysb/content/docs/aspe_brief_teensexualactivity.pdf.
- Elam-Evans, L. D., Strauss, L. T., Herdon, J., Parket, Y. W., Bowens, S. V., Zane, S., Berg, C. J. (2003). Abortion surveillance, United States—2000. Centers for Disease Control, MMWR Surveillance Studies. Retrieved February 5, 2010 from http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5212a1.Htm.
- Ely, G. E. (2007). The abortion counseling experience: A discussion of patient narratives and recommendations for best practices. Best Practices in Mental Health, 3, 62–74.Google Scholar
- Guttmacher Institute (2009). State policy issues in brief: Parental involvement in minors’ abortion as of May 1, 2009. Retrieved May 12, 2009 from http://www.guttmacher.org/statecenter/spibs/spib_PIMA.pdf.
- Joffe, C. (2005). Abortion as a moral panic. Retrieved May 12, 2009 from http://nsrc.sfsu.edu/article/abortion_moral_panic.
- Kazdin, A. E. (2000). Adolescent development, mental disorders and decision making of delinquent youths. In T. G. R. G. Schwartz (Ed.), Youth on trial (pp. 33–66). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Nugent, W. R., Sieppert, J., & Hudson, W. (2001). Practice Evaluation for the 21st Century. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth/Thompson Learning.Google Scholar