Image Segmentation Based on the Evaluation of the Tendency of Image Elements to form Clusters with the Help of Point Field Characteristics
A new approach to the segmentation of an image is proposed on the basis of modeling the spatial distribution of points in the image plane and their ability to identify clusters. Based on detected histogram peaks, a sequence of dominant brightness values (brightnesses) is formed for each fragment of the image. Point fields are formed for each image brightness and the presence of clusters is checked with the help of second-order characteristics of these point fields. The union of all the brightnesses for which point fields form clusters forms the object of segmentation. The results of segmentation of several images are given as compared with those of the thresholding and seed region growing methods.
Keywordsimage segmentation clusterization point field spatial distribution local extremum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.R. J. Kosarevych, M. I. Kobasyar, and B. P. Rusyn, “Multilevel thresholding by clustering the set of extrema of histograms of image fragments,” Information Extraction and Processing, Issue 34 (110), 113–119 (2011).Google Scholar
- 9.S. Thilagamani and N. Shanthi, “A survey on image segmentation through clustering,” International Journal of Research and Reviews in Information Sciences, 1, No. 1, 129–137 (2011).Google Scholar
- 10.L. A. Waller, “Detection clustering in spatial data,” in: A. S. Fotheringham and P. A. Rogerson (eds.), The Sage Handbook of Spatial Analysis, Sage Publications Inc., Thousand Oaks, CA (2009), pp. 299–320.Google Scholar
- 14.N. Raghavan and P. K. Goel, “Modeling and characterizing microstructures using spatial point processes,” Statistical Computing & Statistical Graphics Newsletter, 8, No. 2/3, 10–16 (1997).Google Scholar
- 23.V. P. Boyun, “Intelligent selective perception of visual information: Informational aspects,” Artificial Intelligence, No. 3, 16–24 (2011).Google Scholar
- 24.S. Alpert, M. Galun, R. Basri, and A. Brandt, “Image segmentation by probabilistic bottom-up aggregation and cue integration,” in: IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR’ 07) (2007), pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- 25.L. Xu, “Robust peak detection of pulse waveform using height ratio,” in: Proc. 30th Annual Intern. Conf. of the IEEE Engineering in Medical and Biology Society, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (2008), pp. 3859–3865.Google Scholar
- 27.A. L. Jacobson, “Auto-threshold peak detection in physiological signals,” in: Proc. 23th Annual Intern. Conf. of the IEEE Engineering in Medical and Biology Society, Istanbul, Turkey (2001), pp. 2194–2195.Google Scholar
- 32.Segmentation Evaluation Database, http://www.wisdom.weizmann.ac.il/~vision/Seg_Evaluation_DB/index.html.