Comparative study of CMR characteristics between arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy patients with/without syncope
- 245 Downloads
To compare cardiovascular magnetic resonance (CMR) characteristics between arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy (ARVC) patients with syncope and without syncope and explore CMR parameters related with syncope. A consecutive series of 80 patients with ARVC were divided in two groups according to history of syncope prior to CMR examinations. The biventricular function and volumes were calculated and indexed by body surface area. Fatty infiltration and late-gadolinium enhancement (LGE) were self-quantitatively analyzed according to segmental model. Patients with syncope had statistically significant greater left ventricular end-diastolic volume index (LVEDVI) (79.6 ± 23.0 vs. 69.0 ± 17.9 mL/m2, P = 0.030), right ventricular end-diastolic volume index (RVEDVI) (122.0 ± 30.0 vs. 107.4 ± 21.8 mL/m2, P = 0.017), and LGE incidence (52.2 vs. 21.1 %, P = 0.006) than that of patients without syncope. Patients with syncope had a trend towards greater number of segments with LGE (8.6 ± 4.2 vs. 6.6 ± 3.1, P = 0.199) than that of patients without syncope in subgroup analyses of patients with LGE, but no statistical significance was reached. Multivariate regression analysis showed the presence of LGE was independently associated with syncope in patients with ARVC (odds ratios 8.827, 95 % confidence interval 1.945–40.068, P = 0.005). CMR is helpful in detection and management of the patients with ARVC. Patients with syncope had significantly higher LVEDVI, RVEDVI and LGE incidence, and larger studies with follow-up data are needed to elucidate the relationship between LGE and syncope in patients with ARVC.
KeywordsArrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy Cardiovascular magnetic resonance Late-gadolinium enhancement Syncope
The authors thank the staff and members of the departments of radiology, echocardiography, electrocardiogram and pathology for their assistance in various measurements, diagnosis, and other organizational aspects of this study.
This study was supported by Grants No. 81130029 from the key projects of National Natural Science Foundation of China and No. 2013CB531105 from National Basic Research Program of China (973 program projects).
Conflict of interest
- 4.Corrado D, Basso C, Thiene G, McKenna WJ, Davies MJ, Fontaliran F, Nava A, Silvestri F, Blomstrom-Lundqvist C, Wlodarska EK, Fontaine G, Camerini F (1997) Spectrum of clinicopathologic manifestations of arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy/dysplasia: a multicenter study. J Am Coll Cardiol 30:1512–1520PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Migliore F, Zorzi A, Silvano M, Bevilacqua M, Leoni L, Marra MP, Elmaghawry M, Brugnaro L, Dal Lin C, Bauce B, Rigato I, Tarantini G, Basso C, Buja G, Thiene G, Iliceto S, Corrado D (2013) Prognostic value of endocardial voltage mapping in patients with arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy/dysplasia. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol 6:167–176PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Corrado D, Calkins H, Link MS, Leoni L, Favale S, Bevilacqua M, Basso C, Ward D, Boriani G, Ricci R, Piccini JP, Dalal D, Santini M, Buja G, Iliceto S, Estes NA III, Wichter T, McKenna WJ, Thiene G, Marcus FI (2010) Prophylactic implantable defibrillator in patients with arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy/dysplasia and no prior ventricular fibrillation or sustained ventricular tachycardia. Circulation 122:1144–1152PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Corrado D, Leoni L, Link MS, Della Bella P, Gaita F, Curnis A, Salerno JU, Igidbashian D, Raviele A, Disertori M, Zanotto G, Verlato R, Vergara G, Delise P, Turrini P, Basso C, Naccarella F, Maddalena F, Estes NA III, Buja G, Thiene G (2003) Implantable cardioverter-defibrillator therapy for prevention of sudden death in patients with arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy/dysplasia. Circulation 108:3084–3091PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Dalal D, Tandri H, Judge DP, Amat N, Macedo R, Jain R, Tichnell C, Daly A, James C, Russell SD, Abraham T, Bluemke DA, Calkins H (2009) Morphologic variants of familial arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia/cardiomyopathy a genetics-magnetic resonance imaging correlation study. J Am Coll Cardiol 53:1289–1299PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Tandri H, Macedo R, Calkins H, Calkins H, Marcus F, Cannom D, Scheinman M, Daubert J, Estes M III, Wilber D, Talajic M, Duff H, Krahn A, Sweeney M, Garan H, Bluemke DA (2008) Multidisciplinary study of right ventricular dysplasia investigators role of magnetic resonance imaging in arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia: insights from the North American arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia (ARVD/C) study. Am Heart J 155:147–153PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Tandri H, Saranathan M, Rodriguez ER, Martinez C, Bomma C, Nasir K, Rosen B, Lima JA, Calkins H, Bluemke DA (2005) Noninvasive detection of myocardial fibrosis in arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy using delayed-enhancement magnetic resonance imaging. J Am Coll Cardiol 45:98–103PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.McKenna WJ, Thiene G, Nava A, Fontaliran F, Blomstrom-Lundqvist C, Fontaine G, Camerini F (1994) Diagnosis of arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia/cardiomyopathy. Task Force of the Working Group Myocardial and Pericardial Disease of the European Society of Cardiology and of the Scientific Council on Cardiomyopathies of the International Society and Federation of Cardiology. Br Heart J 71:215–218PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 18.Marcus FI, McKenna WJ, Sherrill D, Basso C, Bauce B, Bluemke DA, Calkins H, Corrado D, Cox MG, Daubert JP, Fontaine G, Gear K, Hauer R, Nava A, Picard MH, Protonotarios N, Saffitz JE, Sanborn DM, Steinberg JS, Tandri H, Thiene G, Towbin JA, Tsatsopoulou A, Wichter T, Zareba W (2010) Diagnosis of arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy/dysplasia: proposed modification of the task force criteria. Eur Heart J 31:806–814PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 19.Neilan TG, Coelho-Filho OR, Danik SB, Shah RV, Dodson JA, Verdini DJ, Tokuda M, Daly CA, Tedrow UB, Stevenson WG, Jerosch-Herold M, Ghoshhajra BB, Kwong RY (2013) CMR quantification of myocardial scar provides additive prognostic information in nonischemic cardiomyopathy. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 6:944–954PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 21.Heidary S, Patel H, Chung J, Yokota H, Gupta SN, Bennett MV, Katikireddy C, Nguyen P, Pauly JM, Terashima M, McConnell MV, Yang PC (2010) Quantitative tissue characterization of infarct core and border zone in patients with ischemic cardiomyopathy by magnetic resonance is associated with future cardiovascular events. J Am Coll Cardiol 55:2762–2768PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Prinz C, Schwarz M, Ilic I, Laser KT, Lehmann R, Prinz EM, Bitter T, Vogt J, van Buuren F, Bogunovic N, Horstkotte D, Faber L (2013) Myocardial fibrosis severity on cardiac magnetic resonance imaging predicts sustained arrhythmic events in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Can J Cardiol 29:358–363PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Moya A, Sutton R, Ammirati F, Blanc JJ, Brignole M, Dahm JB, Deharo JC, Gajek J, Gjesdal K, Krahn A, Massin M, Pepi M, Pezawas T, Ruiz Granell R, Sarasin F, Ungar A, van Dijk JG, Walma EP, Wieling W (2009) Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of syncope (version 2009). Eur Heart J 30:2631–2671PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 25.Cerqueira MD, Weissman NJ, Dilsizian V, Jacobs AK, Kaul S, Laskey WK, Pennell DJ, Rumberger JA, Ryan T, Verani MS (2002) Standardized myocardial segmentation and nomenclature for tomographic imaging of the heart. A statement for healthcare professionals from the Cardiac Imaging Committee of the Council on Clinical Cardiology of the American Heart Association. Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 18:539–542PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Hamid MS, Norman M, Quraishi A, Firoozi S, Thaman R, Gimeno JR, Sachdev B, Rowland E, Elliott PM, McKenna WJ (2002) Prospective evaluation of relatives for familial arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy/dysplasia reveals a need to broaden diagnostic criteria. J Am Coll Cardiol 40:1445–1450PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.te Riele AS, Bhonsale A, James CA, Rastegar N, Murray B, Burt JR, Tichnell C, Madhavan S, Judge DP, Bluemke DA, Zimmerman SL, Kamel IR, Calkins H, Tandri H (2013) Incremental value of cardiac magnetic resonance imaging in arrhythmic risk stratification of arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia/cardiomyopathy- associated desmosomal mutation carriers. J Am Coll Cardiol 62:1761–1769CrossRefGoogle Scholar