Discourses of Charisma: Barack Obama’s First 6 Months as the President of the USA
- 1.4k Downloads
This study aims to investigate discourses of the charisma of Barack Obama in articles in a leading Finnish newspaper during the first 6 months of his presidency. The results show that the media created a very enthusiastic atmosphere around Obama. His charisma was built up mostly around his person, with the emphasis on an exceptional personality, life story and behaviour. In addition, the various crises that arose were used to reinforce the picture of Obama as charismatic. The findings undermine the idea of a single form of charismatic leadership and provide empirical support for the framework put forward by Steyrer (Organizational Studies 19(5), 807–828, 1998), that various types of charismatic leadership exist: In this study paternalistic, heroic, missionary and majestic are identified. The study contributes to Steyrer’s framework by showing that certain types of charisma occur in different social contexts. The results also suggest that ethics is constructed as a crucial part of charismatic leadership, but the construction of Obama’s charisma in contrast to others raises ethical concerns.
KeywordsCharisma Charismatic leadership Ethics Barack Obama Discourse analysis Media Social constructionism
- Aliriza, B. (2009). Turkey update: President Obama’s trip to Turkey. Retrieved Jan 4, 1.2012, from http://forums.csis.org/files/media/csis/pubs/090408turkeyupdate.fi.
- Bass, B. M. (1985). Leadership and performance beyond expectations. New York: Free Press.Google Scholar
- Bass, B. M., & Riggio, R. E. (2006). Transformational leadership (2nd ed.). New Jersey: Erlbaum.Google Scholar
- Berger, P. L., & Luckmann, T. (1966). The social construction of reality. New York: Doubleday.Google Scholar
- Bryman, A. (1992). Charisma, & leadership in organizations. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Bryman, A. (2011). Research methods in the study of leadership. In A. Bryman, D. Collinson, K. Grint, B. Jackson, & M. Uhl-Bien (Eds.), The SAGE handbook of leadership (pp. 15–28). London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Bryman, A., & Bell, E. (2003). Business research methods. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Burns, J. M. G. (1979). Leadership. New York: Harper & Row.Google Scholar
- Burrell, G., & Morgan, G. (1979). Sociological paradigms and organizational analysis. Aldershot: Gower.Google Scholar
- Conger, J. A. (2011). Charismatic leadership’. In A. Bryman, D. Collinson, K. Grint, B. Jackson, & M. Uhl-Bien (Eds.), The SAGE handbook of leadership (pp. 86–102). London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Conger, J. A., & Kanungo, R. N. (1987). Toward a behavioral theory of charismatic leadership in organizational settings. Academy of Management Review, 12(4), 637–647.Google Scholar
- Erikson, D. P. (2008). Obama, and Latin America. Magic of realism. World Policy Institute. Retrieved Jan 4, 2012, from http://www.thedialogue.org/PublicationFiles/Erikson_Obama-Latin%20America_Jan09%20(2).pdf.
- Erikson, D.P. (2010). The Obama administration and Latin America: Towards a new partnership? Working Paper No. 6. Retrieved Jan 4, 2012, from www.cigionline.org/publications/workingpapers.
- Fairclough, N. (1998). Discourse and social change. Oxford: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Fairclough, N., & Wodak, R. (1997). Critical discourse analysis. In T. A. Dijk (Ed.), Discourse as social interaction, discourse studies: A multidisplinary introduction (Vol. 2, pp. 258–284). London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Fairhurst, G. T. (2011). Discursive approaches to leadership. In A. Bryman, D. Collinson, K. Grint, B. Jackson, & M. Uhl-Bien (Eds.), The SAGE handbook of leadership. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Freud, S. (1955). Group psychology and analysis of ego. London: Hogarth, and Son.Google Scholar
- Gardner, W. L., & Avolio, B. J. (1998). The charismatic relationship: A dramaturgical perspective. Academy of Management Review, 23(1), 32–58.Google Scholar
- Hardy, C., Harley, B., & Phillips, N. (2004). Discourse analysis and content analysis: Two solitudes? Qualitative Methods, 2(1), 19–22.Google Scholar
- Hogg, M. A. (2005). Social identity and leadership. In D. M. Messick & R. M. Kramer (Eds.), The psychology of leadership. New perspectives and research (pp. 53–80). New York: Erlbaum.Google Scholar
- Howell, J. M., & Avolio, B. J. (1992). The ethics of charismatic leadership: Submission or liberation. Academy of Management Executive, 6(2), 43–54.Google Scholar
- Jokinen, A., Juhila, K., & Suoninen, E. (2002). Diskurssianalyysi liikkeessä. 2. painos [Doing discourse analysis]. Jyväskylä: Vastapaino.Google Scholar
- Kodrich, K. (2009). Defenders of Inequality? An examination of online news media’s coverage of social justice issues in Mexico, Nicaragua, Colombia. Venezuela, Argentina and Chile. A paper prepared for 2009 Congress the Latin America Studies Association, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, June 11–14, 2009.Google Scholar
- Krippendorff, K. (2004). Content analysis. An introduction to its methodology (2nd ed.). California: Sage.Google Scholar
- Lämsä, A.-M., & Hautala, T. (2008). Organisaatiokäyttäytymisen perusteet, 4. ed [Introduction to organizational behavior]. Helsinki, Edita.Google Scholar
- Meindl, J. R. (1989). On leadership: An alternative to conventional wisdom .Conference paper, Fourth International Conference on Organizational Symbolism and Corporate Culture. Google Scholar
- Miles, M., & Huberman, A. (1994). Qualitative data-analysis. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Neuberger, O. (1990). Führen und geführt werden. Stuttgart: Enke.Google Scholar
- Northouse, P. G. ( 2004). Leadership: Theory and practice (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: SageGoogle Scholar
- Northouse, P. G. ( 2007). Leadership: Theory and practice (4th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: SageGoogle Scholar
- Parker, M. (1992). Discourse dynamics. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Phillips, N., & Hardy, C. (2002). Discourse analysis: Investigating processes of social construction. Sage University papers series on qualitative research methods, Vol. 50. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Potter, J., & Wetherell, M. (1998). Discourse and social psychology. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Prendergast, J., & Norris, J. (2009). Obama, Africa and peace. Retrieved Jan 4, 2012, from www.enoughproject.org.
- Takala, T. (2009). Charismatic leader’s dilemma: How to be a good leader in the context of racism? China-USA Business Review, 8(1), 46–53.Google Scholar
- Tuomi, J., and Sarajärvi, A. (2006). Laadullinen tutkimus ja sisällönanalyysi [Qualitative research and content analysis]. Jyväskylä: Tammi.Google Scholar
- Valasek, T. (2009). Obama, Russia and Europe, Centre of European reform. Retrieved Jan 5, 2012, from www.cer.org.uk.
- Weber, M. (1978). In G. Roth & C. Wittich (Eds.), Economy and society: An outline of interpretive sociology. Los Angeles: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Yukl, G. (2002). Leadership in organizations (5th ed.). New Jersey: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar