Comparing WiMAX and HSPA — a guide to the technology
- 47 Downloads
Intel has referred to WiMAX as ‘the most important thing since the Internet itself’. So is this true and if so what is so special about WiMAX? This paper provides a basic overview of WiMAX in terms of what it is and how it works, its throughput, coverage and security features as well as the services it could support. The paper also looks at high-speed packet access, another broadband wireless access technology, and compares it with WiMAX.
KeywordsOrthogonal Frequency Division Multiplex Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access Virtual Private Network Best Effort Smart Antenna
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.WiMAX Forum — http://www.wimaxforum.org/home
- 3.Hodgkinson T: ’Wireless communications — the fundamentals’, BT Technol J, 25, No 2, pp 11–26 (April 2007).Google Scholar
- 4.WiMAX-Vision.com: ‘Why MIMO needs beamforming’, (September 2006) — http://www.wimax-vision.com/newt/l/wimaxvision/viewarticle.html?artid=20017410725
- 5.Unwired Australia — http://www.unwired.com.au
- 6.Yoon S Y: ’Introduction to WiBro Technology’, Telecom R&D Center Samsung Electronics Co Ltd (September 2004) — www.itu.int/ITU-D/imt-2000/documents/Busan/Session3_Yoon.pdfGoogle Scholar
- 7.WiMAX Telecom — http://www.wimax-telecom.net/en/index.php
- 8.Wisely D: ’Cellular mobile — the generation game’, BT Technol J, 25, No 2, pp 27–41 (April 2007).Google Scholar
- 9.3GPP standards for HSPA — http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/archive
- 10.Holma H and Toskala A (Eds): ’HSDPA/HSUPA for UMTS: High Speed Radio Access for Mobile Communications’, Wiley (2006).Google Scholar
- 11.Ormston C: ’Measurements made by BT at Martlesham Suffolk’, Private Communication (to be published May 2007).Google Scholar
- 12.Rysavy P: ’Mobile Broadband: EDGE, HSPA and LTE’, (September 2006) — http://www.rysavy.com