Generation of expressed sequence tags from a cDNA library of Coleus forskohlii for identification of genes involved in terpene biosynthesis
- 231 Downloads
Coleus forskohlii (syn. Plectranthus barbatus) is a widely used medicinal plant and its main bioactive constituents are diterpenes forskolin and isoforskolin. The present study aimed to construct a cDNA library to identify expressed sequence tags related to terpene biosynthesis in C. forskohlii. We constructed a high quality normalized full-length cDNA library which reached the requirements (abundance, integrity, and library content) for isolating full-length genes. A total of 4 224 cDNA clones were sequenced and 2 394 unigenes were assembled with an average unigene size of 753 bp. A total of 2 100 (87.7 %) unigenes were functionally classified using gene ontologies, and 1 716 (71.7 %) unigenes were assigned to establish pathway associations in KEGG mapings. Notably, 64 unigenes putatively participated in the biosynthesis of secondary metabolites, in which 17 unigenes were identified that might be involved in the biosynthesis of the terpenoid backbone and monoterpenes, diterpenes, and triterpenes.
Additional key wordsforskolin isoforskolin terpene backbone
expressed sequence tag
Kyoto encyclopedia of genes and genomes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Carninci, P., Shibata, Y., Hayatsu, N., Sugahara, Y., Shibata, K., Itoh, M., Konno, H., Okazaki, Y., Muramatsu, M., Hayashizaki, Y.: Normalization and subtraction of captrapper- selected cDNAs to prepare full-length cDNA libraries for rapid discovery of new genes. — Genome Res. 10: 1617–1630, 2000.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jin, Q.D., Xie, X.H., Mu, Q.Z.: Study on chemical constituents from Coleus forskohlii Briq. — Res. Dev. Natur. Prod. 2: 6–9, 1990.Google Scholar
- Kavitha, C., Rajamani, K., Vadivel, E.: Coleus forskohlii: a comprehensive review on morphology, phytochemistry and pharmacological aspects. — J. med. Plant. Res. 4: 278–285, 2010.Google Scholar
- Pateraki, I., Andersen-Ranberg, J., Hamberger, B., Heskes, A.M., Martens, H.J., Zerbe, P., Bach, S.S., Møller, B.L., Bohlmann, J., Hamberger, B.: Manoyl oxide (13R), the biosynthetic precursor of forskolin, is synthesized in specialized root cork cells in Coleus forskohlii. — Plant Physiol. 164: 1222–1236, 2014.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wu, J., Maehara T., Shimokawa, T., Yamamoto, S., Harada, C., Takazaki, Y., Ono, N., Mukai, Y., Koike, K., Yazaki, J., Fujii, F., Shomura, A., Ando, T., Kono I., Waki, K., Yamamoto, K., Yano, M., Matsumoto, T., Sasaki, T.: A comprehensive rice transcript map containing 6591 expressed sequence tag sites. — Plant Cell 14: 525–535, 2002.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Xu, L.L., Kong, L.Y.: Isolation and identification of labdane diterpenoids from the roots of Coleus forskohlii. — Chin. J. Natur. Med. 2: 344–347, 2004.Google Scholar