Abscisic acid mediates hydrogen peroxide production in peanut induced by water stress
- 454 Downloads
Peanut plants exposed to water stress induced by polyethylene glycol (PEG) accumulated abscisic acid (ABA) and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), the increase being significant at 12 and 24 h after addition, respectively. To address the question whether the increase in H2O2 production was related to ABA accumulation, the peanut leaves were pretreated with ABA biosynthesis inhibitor (sodium tungstate) and then exposed to water stress. Under these conditions, a decrease of ABA and H2O2 content were found after 12 h. The addition of 100 μM ABA restored H2O2 content reaching values similar to those under water stress at 12 h. We concluded that ABA accumulation is the first signal that triggers the H2O2 generation in peanut during first 12 h but its subsequent production is partially ABA-independent.
Additional key wordsArachis hypogaea polyethylene glycol sodium tungstate
tandem mass spectrometry
respiratory burst oxidase homolog
reactive oxygen species
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burk, R. (ed.): Soil Survey Laboratory Methods Manual. — National Soil Survey Center, Lincoln 1996.Google Scholar
- Furlan, A., Llanes, A., Luna, V., Castro, S.: Physiological and biochemical responses to drought stress and subsequent rehydration in the symbiotic association peanut-Bradyrhizobium sp. — ISRN Agronomy. doi:10.5402/2012/318083.Google Scholar
- Hoagland, D., Arnon, D.: The water culture method for growing plants without soil. — Calif AES Bull. 347: 1–39, 1950.Google Scholar
- Jammes, F., Songa, C., Shina, D., Munemasab, S., Takedaa, K., Gua, D., Choa, D., Leea, S., Giordoa, S., Sritubtimd, S., Leonhardte, N., Ellisd, B.E., Muratab, Y., Kwaka, J.M.: MAP kinases MPK9 and MPK12 are preferentially expressed in guard cells and positively regulate ROS-mediated ABA signaling. — PNAS 106: 20520–20525, 2009.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Vincent, J. (ed.): A manual for the Practical Study of Root Nodule Bacteria. — Blackwell Scientific Publication, Oxford 1970.Google Scholar
- Zhang, A., Jiang, M., Zhang, J., Ding, H., Xu, S., Hu, X., Tan, M.: Nitric oxide induced by hydrogen peroxide mediates abscisic acid-induced activation of the mitogen-activated protein kinase cascade involved in antioxidant defense in maize leaves. — New Phytol. 175: 36–50, 2007.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhang, Y., Zhu, H., Zhang, Q., Li, M., Yan, M., Wang, R., Wang, L., Welti, R., Zhang, W., Wangb, X.: Phospholipase Dα1 and phosphatidic acid regulate NADPH oxidase activity and production of reactive oxygen species in ABA-mediated stomatal closure in Arabidopsis. — Plant Cell 21: 2357–2377, 2009.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar