Callus induction and plant regeneration from immature embryos of Brachypodium distachyon with different chromosome numbers
- 311 Downloads
The paper reports the in vitro cultivation of two commercial lines and 23 wild populations (with 10, 20 and 30 chromosomes) of Brachypodium distachyon. Callus induction was assayed on Murashige and Skoog medium containing 1 mg dm−3 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D) with 30 g dm−3 of sucrose (MSs) or maltose (MSm). No significant differences were seen between the two media with respect to callus induction. Calli were transferred to MSm medium without 2,4-D but containing 0.1 mg dm−3 of 6-benzylaminopurine for plant regeneration. The plant regeneration response was very variable depending on the original induction medium, although no overall preference for one or the other medium was seen. The three main culture stages (callus induction, plant regeneration, and green plantlets formation) are probably differently controlled in the plants with different chromosome numbers. This supports the idea that the three cytotypes of Brachypodium cultured actually belong to different species.
Additional key wordsin vitro culture auxin cytokinin maltose saccharose
Murashige and Skoog medium with maltose
MS medium with saccharose.
This study was supported by grants from the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation (AGL 2009-10373). The authors would like to thank Adrian Burton for linguistic assistance.
- Chowdhury, S.H., Kato, K., Yamamoto, Y., Hayashi, K.: Varietal variation in plant regeneration capacity from immature embryo among common wheat cultivars. — Jap. J. Breed. 41: 443–450, 1991.Google Scholar
- Dabul, A.N.G., Blefant-Miller, H., Roy Chowdhury, M., Hubstenberger, J.F., Lorence, A., Phillips, G.C.: Screening vitro rapid plant regeneration and development of an early prediction system. — In Vitro cell. dev. Biol. Plant 45: 414–420, 2009.Google Scholar
- González, J.M., Jouve, N.: Improvement of anther culture media for haploid production in triticale. — Cereal Res. Commun. 28: 65–72, 2000.Google Scholar
- Soler, C., Casanova, C., Rojo, A.: Desarrollo de cubiertas vegetales a partir de gramíneas seleccionadas para su explotación en tierras de olivar. — Acta hort. 41: 97–100, 2004.Google Scholar
- Vain, P., Worland, B., Thole, V., McKenzie, N., Alves, S.C., Opanowicz, M., Fish, L.J, Bevan, M.W., Snape, J.W.: Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of the temperate grass Brachypodium distachyon (genotype Bd21) for TDNA insertional mutagenesis. — Plant Biotechnol. J. 6: 236–245, 2008.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar