Direct somatic embryogenesis and shoot organogenesis from leaf explants of Primulina tabacum
- 321 Downloads
An efficient propagation system via somatic embryogenesis and shoot organogenesis and plant regeneration system for endangered species Primulina tabacum Hance was established. Thidiazuron (TDZ) was the key plant growth regulator for inducing somatic embryogenesis and kinetin (KIN) and 6-benzylaminopurine (BAP) were the key cytokinins for inducing shoot organogenesis from leaf explants. TDZ combined with BAP or KIN in the induction Murashige and Skoog medium induced both somatic embryos and adventitious shoots. Leaf explants with abaxial site in contact with the medium induced less somatic embryos or adventitious shoots compared to inversely placed leaf explants and the optimum pH was 6.5–7.0. Secondary somatic embryos or adventitious shoot could be induced from primary somatic embryos using TDZ and BAP. Shoots developed adventitious roots on rooting medium containing 0.5 μM indole-3-butyric acid and 0.2 % activated carbon. Over 90 % of plantlets survived following acclimatization and transfer to potting mixture (sand:Vermiculite:limestone; 1:2:1).
Additional key wordsadventitious shoot 6-benzylaminopurine 3-indolebutyric acid kinetin micropropagation thidiazuron
α-naphthalene acetic acid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Supports from the Corporation Program of National Basic Research Program of China (973 Program) (2007CB411600), the Program for Tropical & Subtropical Plant Germplasm Construction of Guangdong Province (2005B60301001, 2006B60101034) and Guangdong Scientific Program (2007A060306011) are gratefully acknowledged.
- Ma, G.H., Li, Y., Jiao, G.L., Fu, X.P., Lin, Y.R.: Adventitious shoots and callus formation in vitro from young leaves of Melastoma affine. — Floricult. Ornam. Biotechnol. 1: 27–29, 2007.Google Scholar
- Ma, G.H., Wu, G.J.: Direct shoot organogenesis from cotyledon explants in Ochna integerrima. — Propag. Ornam. Plant 6: 145–148, 2006.Google Scholar
- Ma, G.H., Xu, Q.S., Xian, Y.L.: [Direct primary somatic embryogenesis and shoot formation in Manihot esculenta.] — Acta bot. sin. 40: 503–507, 1998. [In Chin.]Google Scholar
- Murch, S.J., Saxena, P.K.: The role of proline in thidiazuron induced somatic embryogenesis of peanut. — In Vitro cell. dev. Biol. Plant 5: 102–105, 1999.Google Scholar
- Nhut, D.T., Vu, N.H., Xuan, L.T.T.: The application of a bag culture system for the in vitro propagation of Sinningia spp. — Propag. Ornam. Plant 5: 45–50, 2005.Google Scholar
- Ren, H., Peng, S.L., Zhang, J.X., Jian, S.G., Wei, Q., Zhang, Q.M., Liu, N., Li, S.J., Chen, W.B., Zhuang, Y.Z.: [The ecological and biological characteristics of an endangered plant, Primulina tabacum Hance.] — Acta ecol. sin. 23: 1012–1017, 2003. [In Chin.]Google Scholar
- Tang, Z.H., Lin, H.H., Shi, L., Chen, W.L.: Rapid in vitro multiplication of Chirita longgangensis WT Wang: an endemic and endangered gesneriaceae species in China. — HortScience 42: 638–641, 2007.Google Scholar
- Xing, F.W.: [Rare Plants of China.] — Hunan Education Publisher, Changsha 2005. [In Chin.]Google Scholar