Genetic diversity for morphological traits and seed storage proteins in Spanish rivet wheat
The objective of the current work was to analyse the variability of high and low molecular mass (HMM and LMM) glutenin subunits, along with some morphological characteristics in sixty Spanish accessions of rivet wheat (Triticum turgidum L. ssp. turgidum). The lines were grouped in sixteen botanical varieties and five additional types, according the morphological criteria. Up to 13 allelic variants (four alleles for the Glu-A1 locus and nine alleles for the Glu-B1 locus) and 34 B-LMMGs patterns were found in the evaluated lines. The current data indicated a clear reduction of morphological variability, along with an asymmetric distribution of the alleles and patterns for seed storage proteins. This polymorphism could be useful for enlarging the genetic background of modern durum wheat.
Additional key wordsgenetic resources glutenin subunits tetraploid wheats Triticum turgidum ssp. turgidum
high molecular mass
low molecular mass
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This research was supported by grant AGL2007-65685-C02-02 from the Spanish Ministry of Education and Science and the European Regional Development Fund (FEDER) from the European Union. The first author is grateful to the Spanish Ministry of Education and Science (FPI programme) and European Social Fund for a predoctoral fellowship.
- Brown, A.H.D., Frankel, O.H., Marshall, D.R., Williams, J.T.: The Use of Plant Genetic Resources. — Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 1989.Google Scholar
- Jauhar, P.P.: Alien gene transfer and genetic enrichment of bread wheat. — In: Damania A.B. (ed.): Biodiversity and Wheat-Improvement. Pp. 103–119. ICARDA, Aleppo 1993.Google Scholar
- Oak, M.D., Dexter, J.E.: Chemistry, genetics and prediction of dough strength and end-use quality in durum wheat. — In: Wrigley C., Békés F., Bushuk W. (ed.): Gliadin and Glutenin. The Unique Balance of Wheat Quality. Pp. 281–305. American Association of Cereal Chemists, St. Paul 2006.Google Scholar
- Tellez-Molina, R., Alonso-Peña, M.: Los trigos de la Ceres Hispánica de Lagasca y Clemente. — Instituto Nacional de Investigaciones Agronómicas, Madrid 1952.Google Scholar
- Virchow, D.: Conservation of Genetic Resources: Costs and Implications for a Sustainable Utilization of Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture. — Springer-Verlag, Berlin — Heidelberg 1999.Google Scholar