Genetic variability in the endemic Leucojum valentinum
- 77 Downloads
The genetic variability of Leucojum valentinum Pau (Amaryllidaceae), a vulnerable endemic species restricted to a small area in the region of Valencia (Eastern Spain), has been studied using random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) markers. A total of 197 individuals from eleven populations were studied using 13 RAPD primers. Our results show high variability for the species, low differentiation among populations and uncorrelated levels of genetic variability and population size. Four groups in which three populations (SAG, PUG and COL) are separated from all the others were found, but without connection to geographical location.
Additional key wordsconservation fragmented populations Mediterranean region molecular markers populations’ management RAPD threatened plants
random amplified polymorphic DNA
un-weighted pair-group method arithmetic average
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barrett, S.C.H., Kohn, J.R.: Genetic and evolutionary consequences of small population size in plants. Implications for conservation.-In: Falk, D.A., Holsinger, K.E. (ed.): Genetics and Conservation of Rare Plants. Pp. 75–86. Oxford University Press, New York 1991.Google Scholar
- Fenster, C.B., Dudash, M.R.: Genetic considerations for plant restoration and conservation.-In: Bowles, M.L., Whelan, C.J. (ed.): Restoration of Endangered Species: Conceptual Issues, Planning, and Implementation. Pp. 34–62. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 1994.Google Scholar
- Norusis, M.J.: SPSS Base System User’s Guide.-SPSS Inc., Chicago 2002.Google Scholar
- Rohlf, F.J.: NTSYS-pc. Numerical Taxonomy and Multivariate Analysis System. Setauket. Version 2.22.-Exeter Software, New York 2004.Google Scholar
- Schneider, S., Roessli, D., Excoffier, L.: Arlequin V. 2.00: a Software for Population Genetics Data Analysis.-Genetics and Biometry Laboratory, University of Geneva, Switzerland 2000.Google Scholar
- Xena de Enrech, N.: [A decade of application of the RAPD method: Achievements and shortcomings in the study of genetic relationships in plants]-Acta cient. venezol. 51: 197–206, 2000. [In Spanish]Google Scholar