In vitro culture of Feronia limonia (L.) Swingle from hypocotyl and internodal explants
The hypocotyl and internodal segments from in vitro grown seedlings of Feronia limonia (L.) Swingle (wood apple) were cultivated on Murashige and Skoog’s (1962, MS) medium supplemented with N6-benzyladenine (BA) or adenine (ADE) or kinetin (KN) at 0.5 to 5 µM. The optimum response was recorded on the medium containing 2 µM BA. An average of 12 and 8 shoots were developed from hypocotyl and internodal explants, respectively, after eight weeks of culture. The shoots were excised, and the residual explants were transferred to fresh medium where again they developed shoots. Up to three such passages resulted in the production of shoots from repeatedly subcultured explants and an average of 24 – 36 shoots per explant was obtained. The in vitro developed shoots produced roots when transferred to half strength MS medium supplemented with 1 µM 1-naphthaleneacetic acid (NAA). The developed plantlets were successfully transferred to mixture of soil, sand and coco-peat (1:1:1) and hardened in controlled environment. Hardened plants were transplanted to soil in greenhouse.
Additional key wordsadventitious shoots medicinal plant micropropagation organogenesis
Murashige and Skoog
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fowke, L.C., Rennie, P.J.: Botanical microtechnique for plant culture.-In: Gamborg, O.L., Phillips, G.C. (ed.): Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture Pp. 217–228. Narosa Publishing House, New Delhi 1996.Google Scholar
- Kaveriappa, K.M., Phillips, L.M., Trigiano, R.N.: Micropropagation of flowering dogwood (Cornus florida) from seedlings.-Plant Cell Rep. 16: 485–489, 1997.Google Scholar
- Mackey, W.A., Tipton, J.L., Thompson, G.A.: Micropropagation of Mexican redbud, Cercis canadensis var. mexicana.-Plant Cell Tissue Organ Cult. 43: 295–299, 1995.Google Scholar
- Perez, M., Balch, E., Ochoa-Alejo, N.: In vitro regeneration of Mexican lime and mandarin by direct organogenesis.-HortScience 32: 29–41, 1997.Google Scholar
- Purohit, S.D., Tak, K.: In vitro propagation of an adult tree Feronia limonia L. through axillary branching.-Indian J. exp. Biol. 30: 377–399, 1992.Google Scholar
- Skirvin, R.M., Mcpheeters, K.D., Norten, M.: Source and frequency of somaclonal variation.-HortScience 29: 1232–1237, 1994.Google Scholar