Hypercholesterolemia and LDL receptor mRNA expression: modulation by selenium supplementation
Selenium (Se) status has been associated with cardiovascular disorders. Present study was aimed to elucidate the protective role of Se supplementation on LDL receptor (LDL-R) activity as well as mRNA expression during experimental hypercholesterolemia in SD male rats. Animals were fed 0.2 and 1 ppm Se supplemented control diet as well as 2% cholesterol supplemented diet for 3 months. LDL-R activity was measured in-vivo by injecting radiolabeled LDL to rats and decrease in counts per minute with time was taken as a measure of LDL clearance and in turn LDL-R activity. LDL-R mRNA expression was studied by RT-PCR. LDL-R activity and mRNA expression decreased significantly on 2% cholesterol supplemented diet feeding. On 1 ppm Se supplementation LDL-R activity as well as mRNA expression increased significantly. Present results demonstrate that Se supplementation upto 1 ppm is responsible for up regulation of LDL-R activity as well as mRNA expression, during hypercholesterolemia. These findings highlight the therapeutic potential of Se supplementation in lipid metabolism.
Keywordscholesterol hypercholesterolemia LDL-R selenium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burk, RF 1987Production of selenium deficiency in the ratMethod Enzymol143307313Google Scholar
- Chung, BH, Segrest, JP, Ray, MJ, et al. 1986Single vertical spin density gradient ultra centrifugationMethod Enzymol128181209Google Scholar
- Dhingra, S, Singh, U, Bansal, MP 2003Protective role of selenium status on T3/T4 kinetics in rats under hyperlipidemiaInd J Biochem Biophys40260264Google Scholar
- Kang, BPS, Mehta, U, Bansal, MP 2000Hyperlipidemia and Type-I 5′-monodeiodinase activity: regulation by selenium supplementationInd J Biochem Biophys7183187Google Scholar
- Lee, O, Moon, J, Chung, Y 2003The relationship between serum selenium levels and lipid profiles in adult womenJ Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo)49397404Google Scholar
- Marks, JL 1979The HDL: the good cholesterol carriersScience205677684Google Scholar
- Salahuddin H, Singh O. 1983 Radioiodination of antigens. In: Talwar GP, ed. A handbook of practical immunology. Vikas publishing house: 92–99.Google Scholar
- Schamberger, RJ, Willis, CC, McCormack, LJ 1979Selenium and heart disease III. Blood selenium and heart mortality in 19 statesHemphill, DD eds. Trace Substances in Environmental Health XIIIUniversity of Missouri pressColumbia5963Google Scholar