A Novel Gene Bombyx mori Carotenoid Oxygenases and Retinal Isomerase (BmCORI) Related to β-Carotene Depletion
- 83 Downloads
Carotenoids are the precursors of Vitamin A. They are cleaved by carotenoid oxygenase and then isomerized by retinoid isomerase. In this study, we identified a gene, Bombyx mori Carotenoid Oxygenases and Retinal Isomerase (BmCORI), which was the homolog of β-carotene 15,15′-monooxygenase and the retinal pigment epithelium protein of 65 kD. Further analysis indicated that the expression of BmCORI in silkworms was significantly higher in females than in males. We also found that the β-carotene content in BmCORI-expressed human embryonic kidney 293 cells was significantly lower than in the controls, while the lutein content showed a slight difference. These results suggested that BmCORI is related to carotenoid depletion, especially β-carotene depletion. Our research provides new insight into the study of BmCORI function.
KeywordsCarotenoids BmCORI Retinol Bombyx mori
This work was supported by the Chinese Universities Scientific Fund (Grant No. 2452016204) and the Natural Science Foundation of Shaanxi Province (Grant No. K3320215183). We would like to thank LetPub (www.letpub.com) for providing linguistic assistance during the preparation of this manuscript.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing financial interests.
- Dong XL, Liu TH, Wang W, Pan CX, Wu YF, Du GY, Chen P, Lu C, Pan MH (2015) BmREEPa is a novel gene that facilitates BmNPV entry into silkworm cells. PLoS ONE 10:14Google Scholar
- Gao BX (2004) Natural pigment. Chemical Industrial Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- Hui B (2005) Chemistry and biochemistry of carotenoids. China Light Industry Publishing House, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- von Lintig J, Dreher A, Kiefer C, Wernet MF, Vogt K (2001) Analysis of the blind Drosophila mutant ninaB identifies the gene encoding the key enzyme for vitamin A formation in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 98:1130–1135Google Scholar
- Yasmeen R, Jeyakumar SM, Reichert B, Yang F, Ziouzenkova O (1821) The contribution of vitamin A to autocrine regulation of fat depots. Biochim Biophys Acta 2012:190–197Google Scholar