Photospheric Spots and Flare on the Active Dwarf Star FR Cnc
- 5 Downloads
We perform analysis of new BVRI photometry of young active dwarf star FR Cnc (K7V), obtained at Kourovka astronomical observatory of Ural Federal University with the help of multichannel electrophotometer in February 2010. The lightcurve displays sinusoidal rotation modulation with the amplitude of 0m.15 in V band. Reddening of the brightness at the photometric minimum confirms that this modulation is caused by cold photospheric spots. An analysis of the spottedness distribution in terms of a zonal model based on our own and published data shows that the spots are localized at lower and middle latitudes from 47° to 56°, occupy 10-21% of the star’s area, and are colder than the photosphere by 1650 K. A flare was detected on February 3, 2010, at a time corresponding to HJD=2455231. 3136. A maximum amplitude of 0m.11 was observed in the B band, the amplitudes in the V, R, and I bands were 0m.04, 0m.03, and 0m.02, respectively, and the duration of the flare was 32.5 min. It was noted that the flare occurred near the maximum spottedness of the star. The calculated total energy of the flare was 2.4·1033 and 1.3·1033 erg in the B and V bands, respectively. The flare was found to have an afterglow, with an overall increase in the star’s brightness by 0m.02 in the B band after the flare compared to the pre-flare level.
Keywordsspotted stars stellar activity flares photospheric spots
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.J. C. Pandey, K. P. Singh, R. Sagar, et al., IBVS, 5351 (2002).Google Scholar
- 5.A. Golovin, E. Pavlenko, Yu. Kuznyetsova, et al., IBVS, 5748 (2007).Google Scholar
- 6.V. P. Kozhevnikov and P. E. Zakharova, in: F. Garzon, C. Eiroa, D. de Winter, and T. J. Mahoney, eds., Euroconference on Disks, Planetesimals and Planets, Astron. Soc. Pacif. Conf. Ser. 219, 381 (2000).Google Scholar
- 7.V. P. Kozhevnikov, in: P. E. Zakharov, E. D. Kuznetsov, et al., eds., Space Physics [in Russian], Izd-vo. UrGU, Ekaterinburg (2002), p. 169.Google Scholar
- 12.I. Yu. Alekseev and R. E. Gershberg, Astron. zh. 74, 240 (1997).Google Scholar
- 13.I. Yu. Alekseev, Low-mass spotted stars [in Russian], AstroPrint, Odessa (2001).Google Scholar
- 14.I. Yu. Alekseev, Izv. KrAO 104, 272 (2008).Google Scholar
- 15.A. V. Kozhevnikova and I. Yu. Alekseev, Astron. zh. 92, 818 (2015).Google Scholar
- 16.I. Yu. Alekseev and A. V. Kozhevnikova, Astron. zh. 94, 240 (2017).Google Scholar
- 19.A. V. Kozhevnikova, I. Yu. Alekseev, P. A. Heckert, et al., IBVS, 5723 (2006).Google Scholar
- 20.K. Panov, Yu. Goranova, and V. Genkov, IBVS, 4917 (2000).Google Scholar