Super resolution for astronomical observations
- 123 Downloads
In order to obtain detailed information from multiple telescope observations a general blind super-resolution (SR) reconstruction approach for astronomical images is proposed in this paper. A pixel-reliability-based SR reconstruction algorithm is described and implemented, where the developed process incorporates flat field correction, automatic star searching and centering, iterative star matching, and sub-pixel image registration. Images captured by the 1-m telescope at Yunnan Observatory are used to test the proposed technique. The results of these experiments indicate that, following SR reconstruction, faint stars are more distinct, bright stars have sharper profiles, and the backgrounds have higher details; thus these results benefit from the high-precision star centering and image registration provided by the developed method. Application of the proposed approach not only provides more opportunities for new discoveries from astronomical image sequences, but will also contribute to enhancing the capabilities of most spatial or ground-based telescopes.
KeywordsMethods: data analysis Techniques: image processing Telescopes Stars: imaging
The authors would like to thank the staff working with the 1-m telescope at Yunnan Observatory for their kind help with the collection of the observation data used in this paper. The research is financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 11403008, U1431227, 11273014), Natural Science Foundation of Guangdong (Grant No. 2014A030313374, 2016A030313092), and the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities.
- Bennet, F., Price, I., Rigaut, F., Copeland, M.: In: Advanced Maui Optical and Space Surveillance Technologies Conference (2016) Google Scholar
- Castellano, M., Ottaviani, D., Fontana, A., Merlin, E., Pilo, S., Falcone, M.: arXiv preprint (2015). arXiv:1501.03999
- Da Costa, G.: In: Astronomical CCD Observing and Reduction Techniques, vol. 23, p. 90 (1992) Google Scholar
- Gallaway, M.: Image Reduction and Processing, p. 119. Springer, Cham (2016) Google Scholar
- German, A., Jenkin, M., Lespérance, Y.: In: Proceedings of the 2nd Canadian Conference on Computer and Robot Vision, 2005, p. 81. IEEE Comput. Soc., Los Alamitos (2005). Google Scholar
- Katsaggelos, A.K., Molina, R., Mateos, J.: Synth. Lect. Image Video Multimed. Process. 1(1), 25 (2007) Google Scholar
- Obuchi, T., Ikeda, S., Akiyama, K., Kabashima, Y.: arXiv preprint (2016). arXiv:1611.07197
- van Altena, W.F., Auer, L.H.: In: De Jager, C., Nieuwenhuijzen, H. (eds.) Digital Image Centering, vol. I, p. 411. Springer, Dordrecht (1975) Google Scholar