Propagation of Love waves in non-homogeneous substratum over initially stressed heterogeneous half-space
- 386 Downloads
The paper studies the propagation of Love waves in a non-homogeneous substratum over an initially stressed heterogeneous half-space. The dispersion equation of phase velocity is derived. The velocities of Love waves are calculated numerically as a function of kH and presented in a number of graphs, where k is the wave number, and H is the thickness of the layer. The case of Gibson’s half-space is also considered. It is observed that the speed of Love waves is finite in the vicinity of the surface of the half-space and vanishes as the depth increases for a particular wave number. It is also observed that an increase in compressive initial stresses causes decreases of Love waves velocity for the same frequency, and the tensile initial stress of small magnitude in the half-space causes increase of the velocity.
Key wordsLove waves initial stress heterogeneous half-space Gibson’s half-space dispersion equation phase velocity
Chinese Library ClassificationO347
2010 Mathematics Subject Classification74J15
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dey, S. and Addy, S. K. Love waves under initial stresses in a visco-elastic medium overlying an elastic half-space. Gerlands Beiträge zur Geophysik, 87(4), 305–311 (1978)Google Scholar
- Dey, S. and Addy, S. K. Love waves under initial stresses. Acta Geophysica Polonica, XXVI(1), 47 (1978)Google Scholar
- Dey, S., Roy, N., and Dutta, A. Propagation of Love waves in an initially stressed anisotropic porous layer lying over a pre-stressed non-homogeneous elastic half-space. Acta Geophysica Polonica, XXXVII(1) 21–36 (1989)Google Scholar
- Chttopadhyay, A. and Kar, B. K. On the dispersion curves of Love type waves in an initially stressed crustal layer having an irregular interface. Geophysical Research Bulletin, 16(1), 13–23 (1978)Google Scholar
- Chakraborty, S. K. and Dey, S. Love waves in dissipative media under gravity. Gerlands Beiträge zur Geophysik, 90(6), 521–528 (1981)Google Scholar
- Chttopadhyay, A. and De, R. K. Propagation of Love type waves in a visco-elastic initially stressed layer overlying a visco-elastic half-space with irregular interface. Rev. Roum. Sci. Tech. Mec. Appl. Tome, 26(3), 449–460 (1981)Google Scholar
- Biot, M. A. Mechanics of Incremental Deformation, John Wiley and Sons, New York (1965)Google Scholar