Criterion of aerodynamic performance of large-scale offshore horizontal axis wind turbines
- 128 Downloads
With the background of offshore wind energy projects, this paper studies aerodynamic performance and geometric characteristics of large capacity wind turbine rotors (1 to 10 MW), and the main characteristic parameters such as the rated wind speed, blade tip speed, and rotor solidity. We show that the essential criterion of a high-performance wind turbine is a highest possible annual usable energy pattern factor and a smallest possible dimension, capturing the maximum wind energy and producing the maximum annual power. The influence of the above-mentioned three parameters on the pattern factor and rotor geometry of wind turbine operated in China’s offshore meteorological environment is investigated. The variation patterns of aerodynamic and geometric parameters are obtained, analyzed, and compared with each other. The present method for aerodynamic analysis and its results can form a basis for evaluating aerodynamic performance of large-scale offshore wind turbine rotors.
Key wordsoffshore wind energy project horizontal axis wind turbine rotor aerodynamic design annual usable energy pattern factor power coefficient wind turbine rotor wind turbine blade
Chinese Library ClassificationTK83
2000 Mathematics Subject Classification76N15
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cheng, Changjun. Aerodynamic features and safety problems for wind turbine structures in offshore environment (in Chinese). Proceedings of National Workshop on Wind Turbine Aerodynamics, Gansu Science and Technology Press, Lanzhou, 12–19 (2007)Google Scholar
- Valpy, Bruce. UK Offshore Wind—Next Steps in Technology Development, Paper Collection, Global Wind Power, Beijing, 109–114 (2008)Google Scholar
- Camp, T. R., Johnston, M. J., Nichols, J., and Rainey, P. J. Advances in Modelling Techniques for Offshore Wind Turbines, Paper Collection, Global Wind Power, Beijing, 115–118 (2008)Google Scholar
- Le Gourieres, Desire. Wind Power Plants: Theory and Design, Pergamon Press (1982)Google Scholar
- Cheng, Zhaoxue, Ye, Zhiquan, Chen, Jingyi, and Bai, Shibao. Aerodynamic optimization for the rotor of horizontal-axis wind turbine. Proceedings of International New and Renewable Energy Conference (ed. Zhu, Yajie), International Academic Publishers, Beijing, 306–312 (1990)Google Scholar
- Cheng, Zhaoxue, Yang, Congxin, and Li, Rennian. A numerical method in aerodynamic computation for wind turbine rotor (in Chinese). Mechanics in Engineering 29(6), 44–47 (2007)Google Scholar