Robust supply chain network design: an optimization model with real world application
- 1.1k Downloads
This paper presents a robust optimization model for the design of a supply chain facing uncertainty in demand, supply capacity and major cost data including transportation and shortage cost parameters. We first present a base model that aims to determine the strategic ‘location’ and tactical ‘allocation’ decisions for a deterministic four-tier supply chain. The model is then extended to incorporate uncertainty in key input parameters using a robust optimization approach that can overcome the limitations of scenario-based solution methods in a tractable way, i.e. without excessive changes in complexity of the underlying base deterministic model. The application of the approach is investigated in an actual case study where real data is utilized to design a bread supply chain network. Numerical results obtained from model implementation and sensitivity analysis experiments arrive at important managerial insights and practical implications.
KeywordsSupply chain design Location Allocation Uncertainty Robust optimization Case study
- Aryanezhad, M. B., Jalali, S. G., & Jabbarzadeh, A. (2010). An integrated supply chain design model with random disruptions consideration. African Journal of Business Management, 4, 2393–2401.Google Scholar
- Bozorgi-Amiri, A., Jabalameli, M. S., & Mirzapour Al-e-Hashem, S. M. (2011). A multi-objective robust stochastic programming model for disaster relief logistics under uncertainty. OR Spectrum, pp. 1–29.Google Scholar
- Esmaeilikia, M., Fahimnia, B., Sarkis, J., Govindan, K., Kumar, A., & Mo, J. (2014a). A tactical supply chain planning model with multiple flexibility options: An empirical evaluation. Annals of Operations Research, 1–26.Google Scholar
- Esmaeilikia, M., Fahimnia, B., Sarkis, J., Govindan, K., Kumar, A., & Mo, J. (2014b). Tactical supply chain planning models with inherent flexibility: Definition and review. Annals of Operations Research, 1–21.Google Scholar
- Jabbarzadeh, A., Jalali Naini, S.G., Davoudpour, H., Azad, N. (2012). Designing a supply chain network under the risk of disruption. Mathematical Problems in Engineering. doi: 10.1155/2012/234324.
- Jabbarzadeh, A., Fahimnia, B., & Seuring, S. (2014). Dynamic supply chain network Design for the supply of blood in disasters: A robust model with real world application. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, 70, 225–244.Google Scholar
- Lalmazloumian, M., Wong, K. Y., Govindan, K., & Kannan, D. (2013). A robust optimization model for agile and build-to-order supply chain planning under uncertainties. Annals of Operations Research. doi: 10.1007/s10479-013-1421-5.
- Najafi, M., Eshghi, K., & Dullaert, W. (2013). A multi-objective robust optimization model for logistics planning in the earthquake response phase. Transportation Research Part E, 49, 217–249.Google Scholar