Large-eddy simulation of circular cylinder flow at subcritical Reynolds number: Turbulent wake and sound radiation
- 502 Downloads
The flows past a circular cylinder at Reynolds number 3900 are simulated using large-eddy simulation (LES) and the far-field sound is calculated from the LES results. A low dissipation energy-conserving finite volume scheme is used to discretize the incompressible Navier–Stokes equations. The dynamic global coefficient version of the Vreman’s subgrid scale (SGS) model is used to compute the sub-grid stresses. Curle’s integral of Lighthill’s acoustic analogy is used to extract the sound radiated from the cylinder. The profiles of mean velocity and turbulent fluctuations obtained are consistent with the previous experimental and computational results. The sound radiation at far field exhibits the characteristic of a dipole and directivity. The sound spectra display the \(-5/3\) power law. It is shown that Vreman’s SGS model in company with dynamic procedure is suitable for LES of turbulence generated noise.
KeywordsFlows past circular cylinder Aerodynamic noise Large-eddy simulation Unstructured grid Acoustic analogy
The authors would like to sincerely thank Prof. D You at Pohang University of Science and Technology for his discussion and advice for the present work. This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant 11232011).
- 5.Boudet, J., Casalino, D., Jacob, M. C.: Prediction of sound radiated by a rod using large eddy simulation. AIAA Paper 2003–3217 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Seo, J.H., Chang, K.W., Moon, Y.J.: Aerodynamic noise prediction for long-span bodies. AIAA Paper 2006–2573 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Orselli, R.M., Meneghini, J.R., Saltara, F.: Two and three-dimensional simulation of sound generated by flow around a circular cylinder. AIAA Paper 2009–3270 (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Murayama, M., Yokokawa, Y., Kato, H.: Computational and experimental study on noise generation from tire-axle regions of a two-wheel main landing gear. AIAA Paper 2011–2821 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Vreman, A.: An eddy-viscosity subgrid-scale model for turbulent shear flow: Algebraic theory and applications. Phys. Fluids 16, 3670 (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.You, D., Moin, P.: A dynamic global-coefficient subgrid-scale eddy-viscosity model for large-eddy simulation in complex geometries. Phys. Fluids 19, 169–182 (2007)Google Scholar
- 22.Beaudan, P., Moin, P.: Numerical experiments on the flow past a circular cylinders at sub-critical Reynolds numbers. Report No. TF-62, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford (1994)Google Scholar
- 23.Lourenco, L., Shih, C., Krothapalli, A.: Observations on the near wake of a yawed circular cylinder. Laser anemometry in fluid mechanics V. Springer-Verlog, Berlin (1993)Google Scholar
- 25.Cardell, G.S.: Flow past a circular cylinder with a permeable wake splitter plate. [Ph.D. Thesis]. California Institute of Technology, Pasadena (1993)Google Scholar
- 26.Tang, K.F.: Numerical simulation of flow-induced noise by means of the hybrid method with LES and aeroacoustic analogy. [Ph.D. thesis]. University of Siegen, Siegen (2004)Google Scholar