Analysis of the periodic solutions of a smooth and discontinuous oscillator
- 143 Downloads
In this paper, the periodic solutions of the smooth and discontinuous (SD) oscillator, which is a strongly irrational nonlinear system are discussed for the system having a viscous damping and an external harmonic excitation. A four dimensional averaging method is employed by using the complete Jacobian elliptic integrals directly to obtain the perturbed primary responses which bifurcate from both the hyperbolic saddle and the non-hyperbolic centres of the unperturbed system. The stability of these periodic solutions is analysed by examining the four dimensional averaged equation using Lyapunov method. The results presented herein this paper are valid for both smooth (α > 0) and discontinuous (α = 0) stages providing the answer to the question why the averaging theorem spectacularly fails for the case of medium strength of external forcing in the Duffing system analysed by Holmes. Numerical calculations show a good agreement with the theoretical predictions and an excellent efficiency of the analysis for this particular system, which also suggests the analysis is applicable to strongly nonlinear systems.
KeywordsSD oscillator Averaging method Periodic solution Irrational nonlinearity Elliptic integral
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Wang, M. J.: The periodic solution for a class of nonautonomous volterra equations. J. Biomath. 13, 750–753 (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Shao, G. J., Xu, Z.: Asymptotic method for primary resonance of a strongly nonlinear vibration system with many degrees of freedom. Acta Mechanica Sinica 27, 577–586 (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Xia, Z. P., Zheng, T. S: An improved method for determining periodic solutions of nonlinear dynamical system. Mechanics in Engineering 29, 23–26 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Zheng, J. B., Sun, J. T.: The periodic solution for a class of nonautonomous volterra equations. J. Mathematics for Technology 17, 6–8 (2001)Google Scholar
- 16.Yang, D. J., Valery, R. R.: Calculation for periodic responses of strongly nonliear oscillator using Jacobian elliptic functions. J.Northern Jiaotong University 20, 61–68 (1996)Google Scholar
- 17.Peng, X., Chen, Z. L.: Asymptocic analysis for resonance cycle solution of a type of strongly nonlinear systems. Journal of Dynamics and Control 2, 46–50 (2004)Google Scholar
- 18.Tang, Y. F.: The periodic solution to the forced oscillation in nonlinear system. College Physics 23, 25–28 (2004)Google Scholar
- 19.Pan, J. T., Fan, M. H., Gong, L. X.: A solution of a nonlinear simple pendulum using Jacobian elliptic function. College Physics 25, 23–26 (2006)Google Scholar
- 27.Lavrentieff, M. A., Shabat., B. V.: Methods of Functions of a Complex Variable. Higher Education Press, Beijing (2006)Google Scholar
- 28.Han, M. A., Gu, S. S.: Theory and Method of Nonlinear System. Science Press, Beijing (2001)Google Scholar
- 29.Ma, Z. E., Zhou, Y. C.: Qualitative and Stability Method of Ordinary Differential Equation. Science Press, Beijing (2001)Google Scholar