Polypeptide Alteration During The Cold Stratification In Mazzard Seed
Many seeds of woody plants require low temperature for germination and that’s called seed dormancy has been investigated for relations of proteins by several researchers. We determined polypeptide profiles of cold-stratified Mazzard seeds. Seeds were studied in five different periods: seeds in dormancy (none stratified), 30, 60, 90 and 120 days cold-stratified. Polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis in the presence of sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS-PAGE) of the soluble protein fractions from stratified and none stratified seeds was utilized for determination of changes in polypeptides. SDS-PAGE revealed a decrease in the concentrations of 14 polypeptides and appearance of four low-molecular weight (15.1, 16.3, 17.8 and 19.4 kDa) polypeptides were determined in 90 and 120 day stratified seeds. The study results exhibited the evidences of the involvement of protein changes in response of Mazzard seeds during cold stratification.
KeywordsMazzard Stratification Polypeptide Protein SDS-PAGE
Veränderung der Polypeptide während der Stratifikation von Saatgut der Vogelkirsche
SchlüsselwörterVogelkirsche Stratifikation Polypeptide Protein SDS-PAGE
This study was supported by TUBITAK (2209A), The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey.
Conflict of interest
S. Aras, E. Arslan, A. Eşitken and M. Kılıç declare that they have no competing interests.
- Callaway AS (1988) Analysis of translational products correlated with rest release of Prunus persica. MS thesis. Univ. of Georgia, AthensGoogle Scholar
- Carrera C, Reginato M, Alomso SE (1988) Seed dormancy and germinations in P. mahaleb L. Seed Abstr 11:122Google Scholar
- Çetinbaş M, Koyuncu F (2006) Improving germination of Prunus avium L. seeds by gibberellic acid, potassium nitrate and thiourea. Hortic Sci 33(3):119–123Google Scholar
- Finch-Savage WE, Clay HA, Dent KC (2002) Seed maturity affects the uniformity of cherry (Prunus avium L.) seed response to dormancy-breaking treatments. Seed Sci Technol 30:483–497Google Scholar
- Gerçekçioğlu R, Çekiç C (1999) Mahlep (Prunus mahaleb L.) tohumlarının çimlenmesi üzerine bazı uygulamaların etkileri. Turk J Agric For 23:145–150Google Scholar
- Giersbach J, Crocker W (1932) Germination and storage of wild plum seeds. Contrib Boyce Thompson Inst 4:39–51Google Scholar
- Hance BA, Bevington JM (1991) Changes in protein synthesis in sugar maple embryos during stratification and dormancy release. Plant Physiol 96:63Google Scholar
- Lewak S, Rychter A, Zarska-Maciejewska (1975) Metabolic aspects of embryonal dormancy in apple seeds. Physiol Veg 13:13–22Google Scholar
- Zielinski QB (1958) Some factors affecting seed germination in sweet cherries. Proc Am Soc Hortic Sci 72:123–128Google Scholar